Pellet Hopper guard

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Jersey Jimbo

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Oct 26, 2020
At the Shore
After changing my pellets to a different flavor, I was getting aggravated pushing all the pellets to the shoot using a small rake. So I removed the guard in the hopper. Now all I use to fully empty it is a paint brush to sweep all the pellets down the shoot, run feed cycle to empty auger. Does anyone think this will cause a problem. It is so much easier to change them this way for me.

Took mine off first time I wanted to change pellets, put screws back in to help keep water out if it sets outside

Reactions: THutson67
Took mine out as well. I think it is better and easier to ensure pellets properly feed to the auger. No problems so far. I haven't even got my fingers caught in the auger.... yet.

Going to take mine out this weekend. I hate having to fight it to get the pellets to feed right especially when doing a very long cook.

If the auger moved a lot faster I'd be way against this...the world is full of injured people who were careful. But this is like the Austin Powers movie where the hazard is a slow-moving road-roller. If the time from certain awareness to least hazard is far greater than human reaction time, you just don't need to put guards on things. You'll feel a pinch and withdraw long before you're cut.

Now of course you have to be aware of clothing (neckties or sleeves), jewelry (necklaces), or hair (hippie length) that lack the sense of touch that can possibly get locked up in which case safe withdrawal after awareness may not be an option...so you also have to be situationally aware of where the power button is or be in full control of the power cord. These are important lessons to teach your kids.

Now if you have someone in the household that has severe learning or mental developmental issues, leave the guard in place.

Reactions: GATOR240
Took mine off first time I wanted to change pellets, put screws back in to help keep water out if it sets outside
I pulled the screws out of the guard, put new ones with nuts facing into the hopper (to keep water out) and just set the guard on top of the 4 screws. To access I can flip it up or just pull it out. Anyone else would think it's still attached just looking at it.

Reactions: Rich250 and bill1
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky