Pellet grill winter prep and winter cooking

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Big Grouch

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Mar 11, 2021
I grill and smoke all year round, but this is the first winter with a Camp Chef PG36 Woodwind. My pellets are all kept in sealed five gallon plastic pails, so they are dry. I assume before freezing temps it's best to run all the pellets out of the auger and empty the hopper? Is there a temperature that I should not use this grill, assuming snow/ice/rain is a bad idea? Thank you for any advice.

I’m in Colorado, I cook on my pellet machine year around. My machine is on a covered porch, but I don’t change anything in the winter other than keep more pellets on hand, you will burn more. I used to have a GMG and had the insulated blanket, which helped a lot. I run a Yoder now and doesn’t seem like I need a blanket, not sure if Camp Chef offers one, but you may look into it.

Reactions: Ed Crain
I don't empty the pellets from my PitBoss and haven't had a problem. About the coldest it gets here is usually about 5-10°F but not usually for that long. Around the coldest I've run is 20°F and had no problems. Yes, your burn rate will be faster. I'd be sure to keep the hopper dry so you don't get ice in it but light snow is not an issue. Freezing rain I wouldn't want to mess with. If you're dealing with -20°F well, maybe someone else can chime in :emoji_sunglasses:

I use my camp chef year round here in Virginia. I keep a grill cover over it and don't bother emptying the pellets except when I want to change flavors.

I do have the insulated blanket and it does help. Also, the new controller made a huge difference in temp control. As far as rain/ice/wind, I don't run it in the rain or snow. Wind can be problematic for any outdoor cooker, especially in the winter.

I smoke year round, have a covered carport, use a moving blanket when its cold out when smoking 250 or less. any higher and no blanket as I don't know what its made out of and don't want to melt it again lol , can tell you the stack will melt it cause it fell against it during a smoke with 300 on the dial,

I use my camp chef year round here in Virginia. I keep a grill cover over it and don't bother emptying the pellets except when I want to change flavors.

I do have the insulated blanket and it does help. Also, the new controller made a huge difference in temp control. As far as rain/ice/wind, I don't run it in the rain or snow. Wind can be problematic for any outdoor cooker, especially in the winter.

I am like Mr_Whipple, I run mine year round here in Indiana ... if temps are above ~20F. Only reason I say above 20F is that when colder than that I am enjoying a good stew or soup! LOL

Although my deck isn't covered, I do have a couple patio umbrellas that are great for keeping light rain or snow off. If there is a downpour or more than a breeze I probably will stay inside. I have thought about building a "wind break" to wrap around the Camp Chef, but just never have. I always empty pellets from my auger & hopper after every cook even though the smoker has a cover. Maybe I am anal, but it is just what I do.

I always think it is best to run the smoker regularly. One winter I didn't fire up the propane grill for about a month and when I did open the lid, I discovered a nest of 5 baby squirrels. Evidently momma thought that it was nice and warm under that black cover and out of the wind. I waited another month before checking again. They had relocated by then.

I keep mine in the garage that has a heat vent from the furnace and clothes dryer. I keep it ready to go at anytime. The lowest ive gone is 15 degrees.

I use mine all winter....spent some time in North Dakota and the lowest temp I’ve smoked in is -26. Yes minus 26....it burned lots of pellets (did a 4.5 hour rib smoke smoke). But my pellet at the time had a double skin.....camp chef makes a blanket for their units and blankets do work. I have a mini GMG that I have done a 14lb Turkey in at 28 degrees and the blanket really helps. Just don’t use it on high temp cooks,....ie above 300 deg....

Ive ran my GMG Daniel Boone in ambient temps from -5F to 110F and she has never skipped a beat. I do run the blanket on mine year round along with the Don Godke downdraft.

I've run mine at -40. Pit Boss with the insulated blanket. Was just a stuffed pork lion so only 2.5-3 hour smoke. It worked fine through that.

Have ran mine down to -15°. Welding blanket on helps but will still eat a lot of pellets. Opening only once start to finish is key because of the recovery time.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky