Pellet grill searing.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

morkdach

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Apr 8, 2007
mid kansas
Has anyone tried the sear daddy from smoke daddy?
I built a pellet grill using 1/4" mild steel with a smoke daddy hopper.
holds temp great just looking to sear on it.
Trying to eliminate some cookers need to down size.
thanks for any info!

I've not tried it but it looks like it should do a good job. I don't care about grill marks, I'm after uniform infrared heat to get a nice brown sear edge to edge. The Browning of the Maillard Reaction develops way more flavor than a few burned in grill marks...JJ

Reactions: idahopz
Grill marks > smoke ring ;)

Both are 95% Show and 5% flavor. They look nice and restaurant customers have been taught by Grill ads and Food Network they are a sign of quality, but a great brown sear or nice bark is where the flavor is...JJ

Reactions: idahopz
Both are 95% Show and 5% flavor. They look nice and restaurant customers have been taught by Grill ads and Food Network they are a sign of quality, but a great brown sear or nice bark is where the flavor is...JJ

I was being facetious. I think your 5% is a bit optimistic even. I had a MES30 for years and cranked off some very tasty 'que w/nary a smoke ring. That being said, I like seeing them not that I use a GMG and I'm definitely a sucker for grill marks. Those dark brown diamonds just do something for me on a warm summer evening.

Thanks for the feedback.
not concerned on smoke ring or grill marks with this application.
I like a reverse sear after a slow and low cook on my steaks and double cut pork chops.

Regarding the sear daddy, I personally wouldn't want to go through the effort to switch over from smoking to searing. My Memphis will reach 700F and has a direct flame insert as well, but I rarely do any searing on it anymore. It just takes too much time and fuel to get there. Typically I'll do a reverse sear, and don't like to wait too long after smoking for the grill to reach searing temps. Most of the time, I'll sear in a screaming hot cast iron pan that I heat on my stove or outdoor burner, or I'll use my Slow N' Sear. Both will outperform a pellet grill with grill grates.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky