Pellet grill issue

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Brewandque

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 14, 2020
Was smoking some wings last night and the temperature in my camp chef was bouncing all over the place. It would go from 250, up to 270 then back to 230 in a matter of 30 seconds. That's never happened before. It's always been a gradual increase or decrease a couple degrees at a time. Any ideas what could be going on? The unit is about three years old. Used probably 40 times, give or take.

Was smoking some wings last night and the temperature in my camp chef was bouncing all over the place. It would go from 250, up to 270 then back to 230 in a matter of 30 seconds. That's never happened before. It's always been a gradual increase or decrease a couple degrees at a time. Any ideas what could be going on? The unit is about three years old. Used probably 40 times, give or take.
Sounds like a PID/temp gauge issue, obviously the temp is not really fluctuating at that rate. Give em a call guessing they’ll send you a new one.

Last edited:
I am not sure why everybody freaking out cuz cooking temp fluctuate 25 to 45 deg...
At high temp of 250+ deg doesn't make much difference.... It's not going to burn and ruin your project...Relax, grab a beer and have a fun...😀

I am not sure why everybody freaking out cuz cooking temp fluctuate 25 to 45 deg...
At high temp of 250+ deg doesn't make much difference.... It's not going to burn and ruin your project...Relax, grab a beer and have a fun...😀
I think he was asking why it was jumping that quick in 30 seconds when it was always a more gradual up and down.

Thanks for the quick replies. I do have a secondary thermometer to check. But it started at the tail end of my cook so I didn't check. I'll contact CF and look for a loose wire.

It kinda is a deal. Because temps don't swing that much so fast. And if it's not accurate it won't know when to call for more pellets at an appropriate rate.

Bingo... PID is like computer stupid unless you give him info what to do... Temp probe is ("outside of PID world") what tells PID what to do...
Ahem... Oother problem could be type of sensor (K...J...S...etc) programmer may input wrong...

Another possibility could be circuit board "creep". I used to see alot of that happen especially with high end injection molding machines that ran 24/7.

It's almost like when I was in times of siege of city of Sarajevo.... Snipers everywhere from hills above city killing kids playing marble game... You figure what is killing, you find the problem and you neutralize no matter what costs... It's all about troubleshooting...

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
Yes but... circuit board either works or not... If one of " so called gates" doesn't do what suppose to do you end up with "frozen" read out or "uuuu" - display...
A jumping temperature means the circuit board is working up to the A to D portion.
I'd still give them a call . I bet it's the thermocouple.
Thermocouple failure is my first peel of the onion (troubleshooting) process.I made many thermocouples and thermopiles back in my colleges days (longer ago than many members were born) and I was taught to fuse the end of the bi metal twist to insure contunuity

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky