Pellet grill advice

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Rob79

Original poster
Mar 22, 2022
Hello, I am looking at purchasing a new pellet grill. Local lowes carries a pit boss pro850 and Walmart has the pit boss laredo. Are these grills any good? They have a different design and are both in my price range of $500-$600. Can they sear meat with their slide function? Any advice on a grill would help. Thanks so much

Reactions: negolien
I have a pitboss Austin xl and it has been great after 4+ years and atleast 600 cooks. Sears great with the slide. I do prefer the charcoal flavor of my kettle though
IMG_20200811_190228.jpg

Thanks for all the replies! I may go for the pit boss. I do not hear many bad things about it. Do these pellet grills give a smokey taste. I was actually looking for something that had the smoke setting control. I hear people saying they're like grilling in an oven. I have no experience

Last edited:
In short, most will say that the pellet grills don't generate the same level of smoke as an off-set/stick burner. That being said, my Traeger generates enough, especially at <= 225, and I always augment it with smoke tubes to add more. This also gives us the benefit of mixing flavors of pellets, so it's fun to play with that as well.

Welcome to SMF Rob.

Can’t comment on the grills you are looking at…

BUT, I do agree with a pellet grill is a better smoker than griller/sear. I was going to get rid of my gasser when I got my rec teq, but I am very happy I kept it.

Reactions: bigfurmn
Yep, I have my gas, weber kettle, blackstone & electric smoker. I'm just adding this pellet grill becayse it's interesting to me. So can these grill like hamburgers and a steak?

So can these grill like hamburgers and a steak?
I believe you can. Are you wanting a smoke flavored burger/steak? Or just wondering if they get hot enough. At the temps needed for these the smoke level will be lower. But it can be done. I would just use the gasser tho.

I don't have a Pit Boss, but I do not sear with my Camp Chef. My Weber propane grill is 3 feet away from the pellet and I can get it easily to 450F in less than 10 minutes.

Reactions: bigfurmn
The more I look the more I don't know. Now I have interest in the green mountain grills Daniel boone. It's just do much more of a hassle because the pit boss is a local buy

Last edited:
Look at the warranty's and price and decide which works better for you, good luck lots of choices

We went with a Traeger Pro 34 and love it. No wi-fi so we were having to check temps on it all the time. For $30 from Amazon we picked up a Govee Bluetooth thermometer system and now we can monitor and still do the Netflix and chill routine.

Once you decide what you want look at Amazon. We looked at ours at Home Depot but the last they had was the store display model with no discount. We ordered it from Amazon and they delivered it to our doorstep in a few days free with Prime for the same or less price than in the store. We ordered a generic grill cover for half the price of a Trager cover as well.

Hello, I am looking at purchasing a new pellet grill. Local lowes carries a pit boss pro850 and Walmart has the pit boss laredo. Are these grills any good? They have a different design and are both in my price range of $500-$600. Can they sear meat with their slide function? Any advice on a grill would help. Thanks so much
I haven't used pit boss pro850 so I can't say anything about it. I have been using pit boss Laredo for the last 3 months and it's working perfectly. I bought it from Walmart too and it cost me nearly $650. They also provide enough return periods based on Walmart return policy. I would definitely recommend those if you are looking to buy them from Walmart under the price range you mentioned. Also, don't forget to read their warrant and guarantee policies.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky