Pellet dust in grill?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Central PA Cowboy

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Oct 10, 2017
Central PA
Hi all,

I'm using my new GMG Davy Crockett pellet grill for the 2nd time and I noticed pellet dust coming up from the grill. It's not much, but somewhat noticeable though. Is this normal?

Thanks!

Hi all,

I'm using my new GMG Davy Crockett pellet grill for the 2nd time and I noticed pellet dust coming up from the grill. It's not much, but somewhat noticeable though. Is this normal?

Thanks!

I don't have a pellet pooper, but my understanding is that it is normal.
It's because of the fan that helps the combustion.
Just tell your friends and family it is extra fiber from the rub. :emoji_wink:
Farting dust is a myth.:emoji_laughing:

I belong to several sites, one even dedicated to pellet. It does seem to be a side effect, sometimes serious and sometimes fairly minor. The ash, as well as money needed are the two reasons I have not gotten a PP. I have seriously considered a cookshack Fast Eddy 500. Been considering that for a few years and then I get over it. For a little while.

Pellet dust or ash?

Assuming you're talking about ash blowing onto the food, it really depends on the pit. Smaller ones tend to blow more ash around. I don't get any ash blowing on top of the drip tray on my Memphis.

If you are talking about pellet dust, the use pellets that contain less dust or filter the dust out before adding to the hopper.

I clean out my pellet grill after 12 hours. If I do three 4 hour cooks, or two 6 hour cooks, it gets cleaned. I also use either Cookin' Pellets from Amazon or Pit Boss (both competition blend) only, and no problems with ash/dust.

I have used other pellets with a lot of dust, and if I don't clean it out after 12 hours, I'll get some ash.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 72
Reactions: BeachMk4
Hi all,

Thanks!

Were the pellets you are using very dusty when you put them in the hopper? I am also new to the pellet cooking but, so far, I haven't seen this problem. I don't have an ash problem with the Lumber Jack pellets I have been using in my 1300 and they are not very dusty when I put them in my hopper. I have heard about some having a pellet dust problem and some guys even run them through a complicated filter system, with a shop vac, to cut down on the dust. I like the Lumber Jack pellets I am using but I think I may try some Smoke Ring pellets next time. I have heard very good things about them.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky