pecan for smoking

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Search for ChefRob doing some smoking with Pistachios - I seem to remember he did one a while back

icon_cool.gif

It sure seem like an awful lot of work. Now you have to crack the shell and remove the nuts fruit so it won't blow up I guess. Go For It and let us know.

You know when I didn't have access to pecan wood I would go to a nearby pecan shelling plant and ask for the shells.  They made good smoke when used in smaller amounts.

You have a lot of fat in nut meat. Never did it but I would believe with something like pecan you would get a dark almost black smoke from all the oil and carbohydrates in the nut meat. 

Well I use alot of Pecan.  I do know a plant of some sort down here tosses the shells as scrap according to a old neighbor.  Hmmm.  Couple trash bags full of shells maybe?   

I've never used nut shells for smoking but have read about it and have seen a couple vendors that offer pecan and hazelenut. I have used (a little bit) of corncob smoking pork with good results. Might be interesting. I understand that walnut wood is quite potent so the shells may be similar. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky