Pear wood

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

patriots

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Sep 15, 2009
weymouth ma.
I have a pear tree in my yard that I am going to cut down. Is this good for smoking, and how long should it sit before it will be good to use in the smoker. Real new at this.

Any fruit bearing tree is good for smoking.

As for drying, I think it should season at least 6 months, others will be along and give their opinions as to time also.

I've got some pear wood sitting in my garage for the last couple of months. Was going to wait at least a year before attempting to use it. Still have to split it, just not a job I enjoy or am good at.

Anyone got tips on splitting wood :)

Pear wood is good. As for seasoning, split it, stack it and lit it sit for 6 months be for using. Check the ends of your splits and if they show signs of cracks, then you're good to go. Splitting your wood will speed up the seasoning period.

Pear is very good wood so all you have to do is cut it split it and let it dry and if you have alot of it you could trade it here for some wood you cann't get around you.

Hey Dutch, while we're on the subject........ I just got a half a truck load of wood delivered to me. Half cherry and half oak. But it was pretty much a full truck load actually. For $40 I thought it was a steal. Only problem is (and why he gave me extra) is that a small amount of the cherry seems to be a little soft. The bark has fallen off also. There seems to be just a small amount of softness to it, but still, is this ok? The rest of the cherry looks real good. It's gonna take awhile for it to season though. I'm splitting it up even more to fit into my firebox and stacking on a shelf in the garage for a few months.

But as far as the stuff that is a little soft, what say you Dutch? (or anyone else knowledgeable in this)

One of the main factors depends on how you store your wood. and the temperature.

In the UK it rains about 9 months of the year.  We store all our logs indoors with good air circulation, otherwise you can get spores or mould growing on the wood, which is not ideal.  I have found that if you leave them in logs or it can take 9 - 12 months to dry depending on how big and thick the logs are.  However we split the logs into manageable splits about 18 inches long and about 6 inched wide and stack them with good ventilation, and these take about 4-5 months to dry.  We cut them into fist sized chunks and bag them in into 10 Kg netting bags and stack them with good ventilation and they dry out within 3- 4 months with the final moisture content about 12 - 16%  If you leave the above logs even longer the moisture content will only drop to around by another 2 or 3%. I hope this information helps

Yup pear works well. My folks have a small 6 tree orchard of pear, peach, and apple - the save all the pruning's for me and I dry them for 6 months to a year, then use them in my smoker.

try it green. we have been using austrailian pine (not really a pine tree its a lite oak) cut the tree down and put right on fire smokes like crazy.any nut or fruit tree will work for smoking.

When I was rather young my grandfather used to use pear and cherry wood for smoking.  He mostly had Pear Trees on his property and once and awhile he'd lose one to a bad frost, cut it up, and he'd use that for smoking venison sausage or the turkey for thanksgiving.  My tastes has since refined from those days but I don't remember it tasting bad.  As far as curing/seasoning the wood, I am sure six months to a year is about right but I wouldn't honestly have a clue.  
confused.gif

Pear will be fine...and to answer your follow up about Maple....heck yeah. Split now if you can, if you want to wait and split after drying....that does make it a tad easier. If you want to speed up the drying process (this is relevant for all wood drying) stack loosely on a pallet, cover with a sheet of clear plastic (painters drop cloth) leaving the sides open and set where it gets plenty of sun....change or wipe off the plastic periodically as it will gather moisture. Also as a quick side note...remove the bark prior to smoking, the bark contains tannins that will impart a bitter taste to your smoke.

Good Luck

Reactions: bigdnaz
I've got some pear wood sitting in my garage for the last couple of months. Was going to wait at least a year before attempting to use it. Still have to split it, just not a job I enjoy or am good at.

Anyone got tips on splitting wood :)
Pretend that the board is your boss / ex-wife / bad neighbour, etc.  It always helps me and much cheaper than a shrink.  

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky