Peach Cobbler

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sickpuppy

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 17, 2005
Louisiana
PEACH COBBLER

1 Can sliced peaches 15 or 16 oz. (if you have fresh peaches use 2 cups peeled and sliced)
1 cup sugar
¼ lb. Butter
2 tablespoons baking powder
Cinnamon or nutmeg
1 cup flour
½ teaspoon salt
¾ cup sugar
¾ cup milk

Pour 1 cup of sugar over peaches and let stand. Melt butter in baking dish and let cool. Mix together in separate bowl flour, salt, ¾ cups sugar. Milk and baking power. Add cinnamon or nutmeg (I prefer cinnamon) to taste. Spoon this batter carefully into buttered dish. Mix the fruit and sugar and put on top of batter. DO NOT STIR. After you have finished and removed meat from smoker, add wood chips and bring temp. up to 370* and put cobbler in smoker for about 45 minutes. Enjoy!

If you have eaten regular cobbler, it is good, but the smoke adds a flavor that will make your tongue and lips will go crazy trying to get to the next bite.

Dan
f7ea22ed_vbattach10378.jpg

Sick Puppy,

I just wanted to check one thing on this.

You put the peach mixture on top of the flour mixture? From the picture, it looks like the crust is on top, but I guess that could have risen up from under the peaches.

Wow this sounds good. Can't wait to try it!

Gene

Just as you guessed, the flour mixture will rise and engulf the fruit and make a thick, sweet dough crust. If you do not put the fruit in last it does not work.

You can use any fruit you like. I some times use blueberries.

Enjoy,
Dan

I have a similar recipe.

In 2qt casserole

melt 1 stick butter or margarine

Stir in (no need to thoroughly blend)

1 Cup flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 Cup sugar
1 Cup milk

Top with any canned fruit drained or canned fruit pie filling.

Bake @ 350 for 1 hr.

I've never cooked it in the smoker before but no reason why it won't work. I've made this with peaches, pears, cherry pie filling etc all are quite good. Strawberry pie filling is my favorite, it's rather like strawberries with its own built in shortcake, served still warm with whipped cream or ice cream it is awesome.

This recipe is super simple and can be thrown together before the oven preheats.

Bill-for a twist on cobblers I like to put the batter into the pan or dutch oven reserving some batter, then adding the fruit on top then adding the remaining batter. The fruit will settle into the center and folks are supprized when the get into it and find the fruit there.

What I was questioning was the amount of butter.The recipe called for 1/4lb.I thought that that might be a misprint.
Thanks,Bill

Deleware-

I don't think that was a typo. 1/4 lb. of butter equals 1 stick of butter and that's what most of my cobbler recipes call for.

This sounds real good. I think I'll give it a try the next time we're cooking in the great out of doors in my dutch oven.

that sounds mighty fine, I wish I had all the ingredients in the house! Dutch, did I see you did this as a cherry/pineapple cobbler on another subject? It all sounds great. Is the canned fruit drained?

Hmmmm ... Peaches, peaches - do I have any peaches?

Sounds really good guys! Can't wait to try it.

Peaches??? Leave Debi's peaches out of it, this is about cobbler... -->
icon_evil.gif
He made me say it
icon_evil.gif
<--

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky