Pastrami Reubans and German Potato Salad

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

TNJAKE

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Nov 26, 2019
Ridgetop TN🇺🇸
Evening smokers. Did some pastrami and had a feast today. Here goes.......

Started with a Grobbels brisket flat already cured. This said flat but had a piece of point attached. Soaked in an ice bath for 4hrs changing water every hour to reduce the salt
IMG_20200918_100614.jpg

IMG_20200918_101135.jpg

After that I dried it off and rubbed with meatheads pastrami rub. Supposedly a knockoff from Katz Deli but since I've never been and will never be in NY I don't know.
2 tablespoons whole black peppercorns

2 tablespoons fresh coarsely ground black pepper

1 tablespoon whole coriander seeds

1 tablespoon coriander powder

1 tablespoon brown sugar

1 tablespoon paprika

2 teaspoons garlic powder

2 teaspoons onion powder

1/2 teaspoon whole mustard seeds

1/2 teaspoon mustard powder

I substituted the coriander seeds for a Tbls of pickling spice crushed. And added a half Tsp of cayenne in place of mustard seed. Rubbed and placed in fridge for 2 days
IMG_20200918_135758.jpg

48 hours later placed on smoker at 225 using pecan
IMG_20200919_102935.jpg

once it hit 160 I pulled and wrapped in foil. This was before foil
IMG_20200919_130052.jpg

no pics of when I removed. I was also planting 30 knockout roses and was busy. Pulled off at 202 and gave it a rest. After that I threw back on smoker at 300 to firm the bark back up for about 10 min.

Wife made some German potato salad. Red taters, bacon, acv, dijon mustard, red onion,green onion, salt and pepper
IMG_20200919_190820.jpg

sliced the pastrami. It was much more red than the pic shows. My camera blows
IMG_20200919_190737.jpg
IMG_20200919_193217.jpg

Made Reubans with rye/pumpernickel swirl bread, swiss cheese, kraut and Thousand island dressing with a touch of dijon. Topped with a pickle
IMG_20200919_192510.jpg

was a pretty delicious meal and something I will definitely do again. Thanks for looking

Boy does that look good Jake! As good as the pastrami and the reubans look (and they look great), your wifes German tater salad looks excellent! Would it be possible to get the recipe? Big like on everything.

Great looking meal Jake! You had me at pastrami and reuben but really set the hook with that German potato salad!

I like adding crushed pickling spice to my pastrami rub too. It’s meatheads with added pickling spice. Pastrami is one thing I make sure to never run out of in my house.

Thats a killer sandwich! I'd tear one of those up in a heartbeat!. German tater salad sounds good too! Nice meal man!

Looks great Jake! We love pastrami. I've done it several times, and it usually comes out ok, not great. Next time gonna try adding the pickling spice you mentioned. That German tater salad looks delicious too. Welcome back.

Jake that meal is literally perfect! The pastrami looks amazing and everything with it looks killer good. Nice job.

That's a knockout Jake, love every little thing about it and got it bookmarked, big Like! Missed you for a few days, hope everything's OK. RAY

Look great Jake, and the rub recipe sounds spot on, I'll have to give it a try soon.

Looks fantastic Jake!! That sandwich is simply to die for being that a Ruben is one of my absolute favorite sandwiches on the planet. That thing just jumps off the screen at you. Nice work buddy!!

Robert

Boy does that look good Jake! As good as the pastrami and the reubans look (and they look great), your wifes German tater salad looks excellent! Would it be possible to get the recipe? Big like on everything.
Thanks man. The tater salad is delicious. She used this recipe

Great looking meal Jake! You had me at pastrami and reuben but really set the hook with that German potato salad!

I like adding crushed pickling spice to my pastrami rub too. It’s meatheads with added pickling spice. Pastrami is one thing I make sure to never run out of in my house.
Thanks Joe. Was pretty tasty. I liked the added heat from the cayenne

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky