Pastrami Loaf with QView!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
You can say that again! There seems no end to all the different types to try. Hard to say which is my favorite. The hard soppressata or latest boudin are the latest but not the last I'm sure.

Looks Great, Dude!! Like.
I don't know what of mine you're comparing this to. I never made pastrami.
Only thing I got that looks similar to this is my "Bear Loaf".

Bear

Bear
Sorry for not being more clear. I meant the bear loafs

Bear
I'm sorry bearcarver I did not mean to sound negative of anyone. Just an observation of taste.and yes it was your loaf I had in mind. It was perfectly fine just not to my taste. Witch I have been told is sometimes lacking. I'm sure I will attempt it again but change the spice ratio somewhat.

Sorry for not being more clear. I meant the bear loafs

I'm sorry bearcarver I did not mean to sound negative of anyone. Just an observation of taste.and yes it was your loaf I had in mind. It was perfectly fine just not to my taste. Witch I have been told is sometimes lacking. I'm sure I will attempt it again but change the spice ratio somewhat.

No problem Dude!!
I don't expect everyone's taste to be the same as mine.
I didn't take anything negative out of that.
Yours looks Awesome too!! I "Liked" it.

Bear

Damn, I'm not making the loaf, but I am damn sure going to try those Rueben dogs!! :D

One question though. My thought is to try some raw, frozen and cook in water. To smoke some and re-heat, but I assume im going to have to heat them on the grill and not water to preserve the smoke flavor?

What casings would you use, Collagen or natural? I normally buy from Sausgemaker.com

Damn, I'm not making the loaf, but I am damn sure going to try those Rueben dogs!! :D

One question though. My thought is to try some raw, frozen and cook in water. To smoke some and re-heat, but I assume im going to have to heat them on the grill and not water to preserve the smoke flavor?

What casings would you use, Collagen or natural? I normally buy from Sausgemaker.com

I'm not real clear on your process but here is what I think would work without issue.

Make some dogs raw and freeze and then cook in water, but you will have no smoke flavor.

Make some dogs and smoke them then freeze them, you will have smoke flavor either way if you grill them or boil them. Probably a little more smoke flavor if you grill but you should be ok either way.

Make dogs and cold smoke so they are still raw, you should still have smoke flavor if you grill or boil them but probably a little more smoke flavor when grilled. Again you should be ok either way :)

If you vac seal your raw dogs (cold smoked or full cooked & smoked) you should be able to heat them up in the in hot water in a pot. This is basically the same thing that Sous Vide people do and you can eliminate the worry about washing away any flavor at all :)

I've only ever used natural castings. I've used both hog (larger) and sheep (hot dog sized) casings so I can't speak to collagen casings. I can say that the sheep casings make something more hot dog sized and the hog castings make something much larger size. It's all your preference but also know that hog casings are easier to work with than sheep casings :)

I think your sausage will turn out great!

I'm not sure how much fat the duck and butt contribute to the overall fat content and ratio of meat to fat but I think you know what you are doing and I'm sure you will crank out something awesome!

As a matter of fact once I finally get my smoker and such tuned in properly I'm going for the TX holy grail of brisket! I plan to keep and vac seal all the beef fat for when I process meat after I finish hunting in October. I usually bring back 5-7 animals and process them all. I buy pork back fat for making my brats and franks but having some beef fat would be great to do this pastrami mixture. I have a ton of the seasoning left over that I will likely never use on anything else hahaha. Stuff like Pickling spice, Juniper Berry, and all this extra ground coriander :)
juniper berries, coriander and pickling spices are all used in German recipes for sausage and meat recipes

juniper berries, coriander and pickling spices are all used in German recipes for sausage and meat recipes

That's nice to know. In 2008 we would hit up a German restaurant about once a week when I was overseas. I may have to look into making some of those dishes since I might have the seasonings on hand anyhow! :D

That's nice to know. In 2008 we would hit up a German restaurant about once a week when I was overseas. I may have to look into making some of those dishes since I might have the seasonings on hand anyhow! :D
Talibum, 2 mos back I posted recipe for Kassler ripchen it is in pork posts, this recipe uses all those spices and is a smoked bone in pork loin

Talibum, 2 mos back I posted recipe for Kassler ripchen it is in pork posts, this recipe uses all those spices and is a smoked bone in pork loin
I'll be sure to check it out. My smoker is on vacation until I can figure out how to keep it out of the rain in my new setup. Well that and when I can finally get some time to actually smoke some food. I've been so busy I just grab what I can, that isn't fast food, scarf it down and get back to grinding away the day :)

Well I updated the recipe to include the seasoning measurements by weight here: https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/pastrami-loaf-with-qview.263815/page-2#post-1716471

I am planning to mix up 30 pounds of my Venison Pastrami this weekend and figured I would weight everything out to get more accurate info for the recipe. I don't know that I will smoke it all or any of it but I at least will have the meat mixed and everything ready to roll for when I can/want to smoke and make sandwich meat from it! :D

I am also trying 2.3% Soy Protein Isolate for the binder this time to see if the slices hold up even better after freezing and defrosting. I think last time I went with 2 or 2.1%. I read a study where they didn't want to go over 2.3% to avoid affecting taste of the meat so I am giving that a shot and hoping for the best.

I will report back on the binder effectiveness at 2.3% after I cross that bridge. Enjoy everyone!

Would love to try this but have 2 bags labeled roast but they probably only about a pound each if that. I guess I need to start hunting. Wish you could just give someone a tag and let them get a deer for you!

Would love to try this but have 2 bags labeled roast but they probably only about a pound each if that. I guess I need to start hunting. Wish you could just give someone a tag and let them get a deer for you!
I need to get back to hunting as well!
Since 2011, excluding 2020 and 2021, I've been doing paid hunts at MLD properties (Trophy Ranches). The MLD property lets you use THEIR tags! They collect info and supply data about their animal populations to the state and the state issues them hundreds of tags that they allow to be utilized by ANY hunters. These tags do NOT count against your personal tags. I take 5-7 deer a year this way :)

I don't trophy hunt, I just meat hunt and they charge like $100-$150 per meat deer (does and spikes) and you use their tags. They are often eager to do this because they manage the land and amount of animals and each year have remove tons of deer to keep their herd healthy and ensure the animal to land ratio makes sense for supporting all of their animals. Since trophy hunters only want trophy animals, these properties have to remove the other deer themselves... and they love letting meat hunters like me buy hunts early in the season or late in the season.

The cost after trip cost, animal cost, and tip comes out less then may paying for a lease AND I can knock all of my hunting out over 3-5 days and fill my freezer :D

I've really enjoyed these hunts so much more since I don't have time to fool with a lease and then miss time from work to keep it up for hunting. I get in/out and can do so when I take 2 weeks vacation each year.... when I would take 2 weeks vacation pre-pandemic lol.

Oh, many times a place will force you to shoot pigs or coyotes on sight if you see them. It helps them manage the land and if they do, they often give you the pigs at no cost. Gotta love free wild pork :D

You can....it's called crop deprivation tags. But you have to know the farmer to get them...
Man if I knew one I'd be all over it. People in TX hardly want you on your land for anything and even when you lease it from them to hunt they are often still a pain in the ass. This is another reason I love doing my meat hunts on MLD properties.
People won't even let others on their land to shoot the freaking feral hogs that are destroying everything. Not sure I can blame the land owners in many cases. Lots of idiots, nut jobs, and plain ignorant folks are out there that don't have proper understanding or respect for firearms. I'd hate for them to be on my land firing high powered rifles without regard for what they are doing.

Wow I didn't even know this was a thing. Looks absolutely delicious and on my short list! Outstanding

Yeah it's awesome sandwich meat! I took a recipe I found making "pastrami brats" and turned it into this sandwich meat concoction :D

Next time I try it, I will use NFDM as my binder in the correct amounts and see if I can solve the freeze and defrost quirk were the meat wants to tear up more easily than I want.

Make it and I bet you will not be disappointed :D

People in TX hardly want you on your land for anything and even when you lease it from them to hunt they are often still a pain in the ass.
I so miss fishing stock tanks. Most have to much fish and need to be fished but can't blame them. The last one owner that let me fish someone left gate open and horse got out. He said I'm done. I seen a really nice soil conservation pond west of McKinney with no signs posted. I thinking of chancing it and fish. I really not a hunter. My brothers and Dad were I just never got into it, other than bird hunting, but ate a lot of wild game growing up.

I so miss fishing stock tanks. Most have to much fish and need to be fished but can't blame them. The last one owner that let me fish someone left gate open and horse got out. He said I'm done. I seen a really nice soil conservation pond west of McKinney with no signs posted. I thinking of chancing it and fish. I really not a hunter. My brothers and Dad were I just never got into it, other than bird hunting, but ate a lot of wild game growing up.
Yeah it's a shame, people just can't respect things properly. It ruins it for the few of us that actually can.

If that pond is on public land hell yeah! If on private land... you are braver than I to walk out there and fish it my friend lol.

Reactions: TNJAKE
Yeah it's a shame, people just can't respect things properly. It ruins it for the few of us that actually can.

If that pond is on public land hell yeah! If on private land... you are braver than I to walk out there and fish it my friend lol.
Here a pic of it. No house around to ask. There are several of these. Wonder how you find out owner? Its a shame out Tax dollars built these but can't use them. :emoji_disappointed:

FishBrain says 3 Bass been caught here. I did find this: Long story... I have read that some of these reservoirs might be public access if the land owner worked with the state to have them stocked. This would require the land owner to allow public access.

But how to find out pretty hard. I been looking for boat for 6 months now. Really need to find one!

1641640819268.png

Last edited:
Here a pic of it. No house around to ask. There are several of these. Wonder how you find out owner? Its a shame out Tax dollars built these but can't use them. :emoji_disappointed:

FishBrain says 3 Bass been caught here. I did find this: Long story... I have read that some of these reservoirs might be public access if the land owner worked with the state to have them stocked. This would require the land owner to allow public access.

But how to find out pretty hard. I been looking for boat for 6 months now. Really need to find one!

View attachment 521432

Doing a little googling I came across this info for TX about how to find out who owns a property. Most counties and offices like this have public websites where you can do your searching. You can try one of the following methods:

1. Visit the Tax Assessors Office – If there is a property that someone is paying taxes on the county and state will know about it.
  2. Visit the County Recorders Office – They are required to maintain public records of all land transfers and ownership. Here you can pull up the deed to the property and find out who currently owns it as well as any previous owners.

Doing a little googling I came across this info for TX about how to find out who owns a property. Most counties and offices like this have public websites where you can do your searching. You can try one of the following methods:

1. Visit the Tax Assessors Office – If there is a property that someone is paying taxes on the county and state will know about it.
  2. Visit the County Recorders Office – They are required to maintain public records of all land transfers and ownership. Here you can pull up the deed to the property and find out who currently owns it as well as any previous owners.
I going to have to more research on this. All I have to go by is longitude and latitude. There are so many of these in the area I would sure like to figure out a way to fish. I know must owners are going to say no but worth a try.

Reactions: tallbm
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky