Pastrami from the begining, update It's finally done!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wtf1.gif

hijack2.gif

That's right Al---The spotlights are on YOU !   
bluesbros.gif

Bear
You guys are killing me!

Even if it doesn't, just lie and tell us how great it was. At this point we couldn't handle the disappointment. The whole forum would implode, creating a big black hole in the internet!!!
biggrin.gif

It most be beer o'clock by now!

More like waiting for the wife to give birth..... Hey Al, can't we just  induce labor? 
Beating_A_Dead_Horse_by_livius.gif

Yea keep it up. I know it's Johnny Walker time now!

Hey Al,

Did not mean to step on your view.
icon_redface.gif

Got so excited watching you, I couldn't contain myself.

Back to you sir!

wtf1.gif

hijack2.gif

Last edited:
OK guys tomorrow will be the day. After the ham smoke today I am going to put some ham fat over the pastrami to keep it moist while I sleep tomorrow night. The self basting thing seems to work really well. I wish I would have kept some of the fat I trimmed off the brisket for this, but I will have to use pork fat. What the heck everything gets better with pork fat right? I mean what doesn't taste better with bacon wrapped around it? Tomorrow is D-day! I can't wait! 

I'm digesting a couple pounds of my corned beef right now while i wait to see yours come out. I have a home-brined point, a store bought corned point and a store bought corned flat to make pastrami with this weekend so i'm all ears and eyes right now..

Well D-day is finally here. The brisket is out of the brine & soaking in plain water. I'll fry test it then get it rubbed down & back in the fridge for tonights smoke.

That makes 72 posts on this thread, and still no smoke?

C'mon Al, let's get her in the smoker !!!!!

Bear

Bad news, it came out of the brine and looked ok, but when I cut into it, it doesn't look right. What do you guys think. I emailed bbally a pic to see what he says. I'm afraid to eat it. Here's how it looks. It almost looks like it has been cooked.

d7533462_DSCN0001.jpg

Have you soaked in fresh water yet?

I usually have a dark ring like this on some cured items, not usually that thick. if you followed the cure instructions / pound of meat and it was sub 40F you should be ok.

I'd do a fry test or soak / fry until the right taste.

Have you soaked in fresh water yet?

I usually have a dark ring like this on some cured items, not usually that thick. if you followed the cure instructions / pound of meat and it was sub 40F you should be ok.

I'd do a fry test or soak / fry until the right taste.
Yes I soaked it for a couple of hours. When I fry tested it it turned pink. I wasn't going to eat any but had to see how it tasted & it tasted good.

Thanks, Al

I think you are ok. After a smoke you should see the whole pink color. I believe this is just part of the cure, and the fact that you may have had a concentrated cure / a lot of surface area.

My bacon looked a bit like this when I cured with instant cure #1 from the Kutas book. I thought it was weird, but it came our great.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky