PASTRAMI FOR A FRIEND

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Sowsage

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Oct 18, 2017
Maplewood OH
Had a friend call me the other day and told me to pick up a venison roast he had thawed out and didn't have time to do anything with it. Said the wife wouldn't eat venison and he didn't want it to go to waste. So I figured instead of using it all for myself I would make him some venison pastrami. So I got it home and into the brine. I have always used daveomak daveomak version he did a thread on a while back called "pastrami from scratch" . its pretty much the same with a few changes to the seasonings. Once its out of the brine I rinse it off and pat it dry. I like to rub it down with a good mustard before coating it with the seasonings. I like to take the internal temp to about 150° and hold it there for about 20 min. Starting out at low temps and slowly bringing it up as it smokes. Kind of like how you smoke sausage. Once its out of the smoker it gets a rest in the fridge for a few days before slicing. I didn't take a bunch of pics but I'll share them. Sorry for the blurry first few pics. I took them with my tablet and its got a crappy camera.

All rubbed down ready for the smoke
Screenshot_20191211-081309~2.png

Then out of the smoker and ready for a rest in the fridge for a few days
Screenshot_20191211-081327~2.png

Then on to the slicer! Nice and thin just how I like it!
1210191938.jpg
1210191940.jpg
1210191950_HDR.jpg

Now its ready for some Rye bread and some mustard.

Thanks for taking a look!

Wow! That looks good. Most of the Venison I get from friends or my SIL, ends up in Chili, which everybody asks for here. I have to give the Pastrami a shot...JJ

Reactions: JC in GB
Wow! That looks good. Most of the Venison I get from friends or my SIL, ends up in Chili, which everybody asks for here. I have to give the Pastrami a shot...JJ
Thanks! Yes give it try for sure. Nothing wrong with a good chilli though! Especially on days like today. Getting pretty cold out here.

Damn, looks good, Got two 1/2 weeks off, deer roasts from last year still and more deer to kill. I'm going to make a "batch" of this. Probably some corned too

Damn, looks good, Got two 1/2 weeks off, deer roasts from last year still and more deer to kill. I'm going to make a "batch" of this. Probably some corned too
Thanks archeryrob! Thats the way to do it. Normally I would do more than the one roast but I wanted my friend to be able to try this stuff out of what he gave me

Sowsage, really nice job on that....and sharing with the giver is always fun.

I used to keep a lot of fish fillets and vacuum pack them and give away to friends and co workers also, love sharing.

Like!

John

Sowsage, really nice job on that....and sharing with the giver is always fun.

I used to keep a lot of fish fillets and vacuum pack them and give away to friends and co workers also, love sharing.

Like!

John
Thank you! Its more fun to do this stuff when you can share with people thats for sure!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky