Pastrami 1st timer

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

trueteam

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jan 23, 2015
Charlotte
I started with an 8lb choice flat from Costco. I cut it in half and cured in pops brine for 17 days. Rubbed down and onto my WSM at 225. I am using apple and cherry wood.

I still don't know if I am going to smoke all the way or take it off and steam it to finish. I am going to vac seal and take most of it to the beach in a week. Any recommendations for me? I have read numerous threads and see that there is variety in methods out there. Just wondering if any particular method yields better results since I am going to slice and vac seal for later consumption.

Forgot to take pics in the brine and pre rub.

Fry test - not salty and nice flavor from brine

Based on all the responses [emoji]128514[/emoji] I smoked until 165 and then steamed to finish. Wrapped and in the fridge over night. Very happy with my 1st go round. Can't wait to eat through this and do it again.

That looks great!

I just finished prepping seasoning for a Pastrami Loaf using ground venison and beef fat.  

How long did you apply smoke?  What wood? 

Thank you, smoked for around 5.5 hours using apple and cherry chunks and Kingsford Pro/Royal Oak lump combo. Temps from 225-240.

I think I'm going to do my loaf with mine with 100% Maple.  I read somewhere that Pastrami is often done with Maple

I had a few chunks left after slicing, so I made some hash for dinner. I sautéed onion and red pepper, added garlic, diced par boiled yukons, salt, pepper, thyme and paprika. Browned the potatoes and added diced pastrami.

Man that looks like my kind of breakfast!

FYI,  I have my ground formed Pastrami Loaves in the fridge setting overnight.  They will be smoked tomorrow.  The fry test was AWESOME!  I hope all of that flavor translates and gets even better when I smoke the loaves.

I used 80% pure Venison grind (no fat) and 20% Beef fat along with a Pastrami Dog sausage recipe to make the loaves.  I plan to smoke with 100% Maple for at least 5 hours of the cook and will cook at smoker temp 165F-170F until IT of 153F or so :)

I will do a whole post when it is done tomorrow :)

Those pics looked amazing. Thinking of doing one of these soon. Could you elaborate on your brine recipe?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky