Pasteurization Graph for some pathogens..

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

daveomak

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 12, 2010
Omak,Washington,U.S.A.
Food pasteurization...
Below is a graph showing the comparison between food temperature and time as to how it relates to some food borne pathogens death rate.. I have inserted Time/Temp markers, that are not exact, to make the chart a little easier to see the comparisons..
The colored lines represent food that would be safe to eat for the given pathogen..
As an example, using the test points at 127 deg. F and 34 minutes... I would add 1/2 - 1 hours to the time to insure death rates had been achieved.. only because of thermometer placement and it's calibration.. A thermometer that's off +5 deg. F would be disasterous.. your food temp would actually be 5 deg. colder than the therm registered...
To quote Andy, on "Life Below Zero", "I don't care if I make a mistake, as long as it's not my last mistake"...

Thermal Death Time Curve.png

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky