1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Pasta w/ Steak and Spinach

Discussion in 'Beef' started by Holly2015, Feb 18, 2019.

1. Holly2015

Holly2015 Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

MIL birthday is coming up and when she was asked what she wanted she said she wanted me to prepare dinner for her. I gave her the choice of

1. Pasta w/ Steak and Spinach
    2. Pappardelle w/ Braised Beef, Port Wine and Gorgonzola cheese.

She chose what was behind door #1
    • 1 pound of cubed up steak (I'm using tenderloin but NY Strip or Ribeye would work)
    • 2 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
    • 2 teaspoon garlic powder
    • 1 teaspoon salt
    • 1 teaspoon black pepper
    • 8 ounces uncooked linguini pasta
    • 1/2 cup olive oil, plus 2 tablespoon divided
    • 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
    • 2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
    • 2 cups fresh spinach, roughly chopped
    • 4 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped divided
    • 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
    Cube up the meat and drizzle a little olive over it along with the Italian seasoning, S&P, garlic power and toss to coat. Put in fridge for a couple hours for flavor to marry.

Mix the rest of the oil, Dijon mustard balsamic and 2 Tbls fresh parsley then whisk until blended. Also a grind or 2 of black pepper. This can either be refrigerated for a couple hours while the flavors marry or it can sit on the counter. If you refrigerate the sauce you'll need to pull it out about 1/2 hour before using to let it get to room temp and let oil re-liquify.

About 1/2 hour before you want to eat get the heavily slated water on the stove and started. to boil the pasta.

In a large heavy skillet (cast iron is my preferred weapon of choice) preheat over med/hi heat for a few minutes. Drizzle in a little olive oil in the preheated skillet and brown the meats. Work in batches if you need too do not crown the skillet. Once meats are done dump in dressing, stir, cover and set aside. While the noodles are cooking rough chop the spinach and the remaining 2 Tbls of parsley. Cook pasta and drain (reserve 1 or 2 ladle full of the pasta water). After pasta is cooked put back into pot with, pasta water, and stir until water is absorbed. Then add dressing/meat, spinach and parsley to the pasta and over low heat heat for a minute or 2 to get everything warm. Serve topped with crumbled feta cheese.

Here's the meat cubed and seasoned and the dressing all mixed up and everything getting to know one another for e few hours.

View attachment 388359

View attachment 388360

ST1.jpg ST2.jpg ST4.jpg

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
  2. chef jimmyj

chef jimmyj Epic Pitmaster Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

That sounds good! I personally would pick Door #2. I am curious about the second hydration of the pasta? I've only ever been taught to add the Dressing and water, as needed, tor emulsify the sauce and adhere it to the pasta...JJ

3. Holly2015

The pasta will quickly absorb the ladle or so of starchy water and the sauce will stick to it better.

I too would have picked door #2 and that's going to be next Saturday's dinner.

4. Holly2015

Living at home this is a dish that would have never been serves. Pasta and greens.....no way! As it turns out its pretty darn tasty. Not Sunday gravy tasty but good. Wifey actually like it better that Sunday gravy but for crying out loud she has no taste, look at who she chose to marry!

Looks like next Saturday is out for Pappardelle w/ Braised Beef, Port Wine and Gorgonzola cheese due to another b-day party...but Sunday afternoon LOOK OUT!

5. I might have picked #2 as well, but wouldn't pass up #1! It sure looks good!

6. 73saint

73saint Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

Looks and sounds great!

7. tx smoker

tx smoker Smoking Fanatic

Lance, you are a mad man in the kitchen!! When I grow up though (not likely to happen), I want to be just like you :emoji_wink:
    This looks absolutely fantastic and I WILL be making this. We both love beef, we both love spinach, and we both love pretty much anything that resembles Italian food. What's not to love about this??

Little Italy in Lago,
    Robert

8. tx smoker

tx smoker Smoking Fanatic

Well, as promised, I made this last night for the wife and I. Had to make a couple of tweaks, one out of necessity and the other out of personal taste. It was outstanding!! This has gone into the book of recipes for a re-make. Matter of fact, the wife asked if we could have it again next week. That's a huge compliment. I've done a whole bunch of creative recipes and we tend to space meals out and not have the same thing twice in a short period of time. I didn't take pics of the whole process as Lance has already done that but here is what I came up with.

008.jpg

It was REALLY good and the Feta cheese really sets it over the top. I either cut my spinach too small, cooked it a bit too long, or just didn't use enough but that's an easy fix for next time.

Thanks for sharing!! We really enjoyed this and it'll be done on as regular a basis as the meal rotation allows.

Yee haa!
    Robert

73saint likes this.