• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dirtsailor2003

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
Oct 4, 2012
Bend Oregon
Last weekend I went over to the coast for the Toledo Oregon Wooden boat show. I had the opportunity to run up and go fishing with my cousin and got lucky enough to bring home a halibut!

Simple cast iron cook. Pan Seared and finished in a brown butter, white wine, lemon, garlic & caper sauce. Served over a bed of wild rice.

48584740717_07f2d19356_c.jpg

My Uncle and Cousins Boat, not me in the picture just a passenger. Had a total of 20 people passengers and crew on board, we had our limit in 3 drifts.

48584741157_9014264e7d_c.jpg

Okay onto the halibut. You need a hot pan, with 2 tablespoons of oil. Oil should be close to smoking before putting the fish in. Season both sides of fish with salt and pepper.

48584605737_fecdf4e41b_c.jpg

5-6 minutes each side. Remove halibut from the pan. Pour off oil, reserve 1 tablespoon in pan. (if using a different pan for sauce, pour 1 tablespoon into new pan).

I prefer to break out a new pan to make the sauce. My reasoning is that the hot pan usually browns the butter faster than I like. Preheat over medium heat

Into the new pan add 1/2 a cube of non-salted butter, melt over medium heat. Add 2-3 cloves of garlic finely grated. Cook for 2-3 minutes. Add white wine, squeeze the juice from 1 lemon, add 3-4 table spoons capers. Add halibut fillet to pan. Baste wit sauce until heated through 2-3 minutes. Serve, add sauce over top.

48584606547_1444a9412b_c.jpg

48584606382_5fc485df99_c.jpg

48584606467_362d1bda1c_c.jpg

48584606387_d5b05b93aa_c.jpg

Nice catch Case. Though halibut is not my favorite fish to eat, what you did especially with the capers, makes it yummyful.

Super jealous of the catch. Good for you bud.

I am also gonna pass on the sauce :-D the whole lemon/ww/caper thing is too much for me. I'll just have the fish and maybe a dash of butter or salt!

But I'd still rather be you than me at dinner tonight for sure!

Case great looking dish I could eat everything love capers with lemon.Going to save this an do it with Fluke thanks for sharing.. POINTS
Richie

Nice catch of chicks. I've got a couple of pieces in the freezer that deserve some attention soon.
"Chicken of the Sea" is one of my (several) favorite marine fish.

Note to others, Chicken of the Sea is a long time reference to halibut and not the canned crap (cat food quality) tuna.

Terrific catch for the whole boat. Crew did a good job putting you all on the fish. YOU on the other hand did an AMAZING job on cooking it. We have some Halibut from last years trip, but it's never the same as fresh. Man, you make me want to go back. Tremendous job sir!
Don

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky