Packer in MES

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Thomas The Tank

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Mar 24, 2018
Valparaiso, IN
4E6F48E0-151B-4CD7-8E90-4DEAFA800C98.jpeg
Has anyone tried to put a packer in their mes 30 with one rack vertical on the side and the brisket in an L shape? Just curious how this would work out without having to cut more of the flat off than needed, or use a brick/can. The only thing I can think of is it potentially having a lot of pooling of the juices/fat right there at the bend.

Thoughts?

Never thought of trying to angle the rack, do you mean putting one side of the rack on a rung above?
Yeah . I would take a length of the brisket to see how much room you need . Try to keep it as flat as possible . Sister 2 racks together to make that length . One side high , other side low in the smoker .
Looking at the picture , might be pretty close if you use the bottom position on one side and the top on the other . Use twist ties or wire to over lap the racks to the length you need .

Curious to see how this one turns out. Only thing I have seen is the beer can bend or separating the point/flat. I did a big one in my MES40 a couple weeks ago and it barely fit!

What if you tried the rack on an angle to get the length you need ?
I think that is a really good idea!!!

I think it would work really well If he keeps the big side/point side down on the horizontal rack and the rest on a slanted rack like the following (yes I had some time on my hands to "photoshop" this hahahaha).

Something like the following would keep it from sliding around and folding up from the flat side. I still would suggest triming away the thin flat meat so it doesn't burn up/overcook like I always do but this approach would work well.

upload_2019-9-12_11-9-48.png

Here is the flat triming approach I always recommend. The good flat meat can still be smoked and pulled earlier or repourposed for something else:

Reactions: chopsaw
Pretty much what I was thinking except I would put the side over the heat up

Pretty much what I was thinking except I would put the side over the heat up

Yeah that should work too.
Maybe we can talk him into doing this twice.

Once with the flat angled up over the hot side and once where the thick/point side is on the bottom rack over the hot part.
Then we will know which approach cooks more evenly... or if it doesn't matter at all hahahahaha.

Ok Thomas The Tank Thomas The Tank you have been volun-told to do 2 different brisket smokes to find out for us :P
We are counting on you! :emoji_blush:

I think this idea definitely opened up the possibilities with larger briskets in an mes 30. I will definitely try to experiment with these, but not sure if I want to try it with the brisket I am doing this weekend since it is a Wagyu from SRF and don’t really want to experiment with that. Or should I just go for it?

I got one from sams that’s in the freezer that I can experiment with.

Here is what it would look like if I slanted it. The weight of the brisket actually held the slanted rack in place pretty good.

1E6074AA-8F84-464C-9CBE-C0FD7AD57539.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice!
I would definitely practice with a different brisket. You don't want to botch the super expensive one.

As the brisket cooks it will shrink to about 70% of the size it is in the picture. It would be nice to know it will do. A test brisket or two will give you a clear picture of what to expect.

Finally if you can keep the brisket from touching the walls you will avoid a mess in the bottom of your smoker. I foil over my drip pan and as long as meat is not against the walls, the mess stays strictly with my drip pan :)

Let us know what you decide!

Nice!
I would definitely practice with a different brisket. You don't want to botch the super expensive one.

As the brisket cooks it will shrink to about 70% of the size it is in the picture. It would be nice to know it will do. A test brisket or two will give you a clear picture of what to expect.

Finally if you can keep the brisket from touching the walls you will avoid a mess in the bottom of your smoker. I foil over my drip pan and as long as meat is not against the walls, the mess stays strictly with my drip pan :)

Let us know what you decide!
I would like test this out with my next one when it’s just me and my wife eating it, lol. I rarely use the bottom shelf because it does get a little hotter since the element is closer. I normally put a foil pan there since the gen 2 has a smaller one.

That being said, if I do test, I will most likely put the point on the left side so it’s further from the element, and then once it shrinks enough I may be able to position everything back to normal.

Reactions: tallbm
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky