Packer in MES

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I would like test this out with my next one when it’s just me and my wife eating it, lol. I rarely use the bottom shelf because it does get a little hotter since the element is closer. I normally put a foil pan there since the gen 2 has a smaller one.

That being said, if I do test, I will most likely put the point on the left side so it’s further from the element, and then once it shrinks enough I may be able to position everything back to normal.

Makes complete sense. I can't wait for the reports :)
I like getting to the solution of a problem, whether I'm doing it or someone else is! :)

Finally got a chance to try this out in my mes 30 last night. Did ~12lb prime packer from sams. Trimmed it and seasoned with Jeff’s Texas rub. I put it in at 1am. I cut a lot of the fat between the flat/point out and it was a little flimsy holding all the weight at an angle. I just made a slight adjustment with the racks and it fixed the issues of the packer bending/falling too much. For the pourpose of the experiment and since the whole reason behind it is to see if a whole packer will fit this way, I did not trim any of the flat off. I also put fat side down/towards the heating element, usually I go fat up.​

I put on at 1:00am @ 250 with mesquite wood chips.
1AE32654-05C7-4CF4-9FAB-478BBF077A6B.jpeg

Around 8:30am I started to spritz with apple juice every 30-45min.
1B26FE14-7E82-462F-90A4-10B216236249.jpeg

At 11:00am it was ~175 so I decided to wrap in butcher paper, and put the rack back to normal since it had shrunk enough to fit. I made sure to put it back in fat side up, so some of the juices would collect on the bottom to help keep moist.
B549E3B9-E4F2-4532-8C11-589DA4459197.jpeg

2:30pm Finished probe tender @ 200.

Placed in a cooler to rest a bit then put some towels in and closed the lid.

Rested for 3 hours, sliced up nice.
91936FBB-27B4-41FB-82E7-6E1741E0216D.jpeg

Final verdict: It was a little dry, but I don’t think some would notice, it was very tender in the flat, surprisingly the point was dryer than the flat, which being down closer to the heat source contributed to that.
FE32AB67-7B5B-4C59-895D-60666E61EC98.jpeg

Maybe if I do it like this again I’ll wrap it sooner?? Or fat cap “up” who knows, could be many factors, but either way it still tastes great and didn’t stop us from eating it and saving some for later.

Served with dutches beans, Mac n cheese, twice baked potato :emoji_yum:
76A7555A-9002-4004-94B4-981CFD18A347.jpeg

Last edited:
Great looking plate , and thanks for the follow up . I think you're on to something here . Agree with the final comments . Nice work , and keep us informed if you do it again .

Nice experiment. Thanks for posting. I wonder if a well placed piece of foil on the "bottom" portion of the brisket the portion that is closer to the heat would help deflect some of those higher temps.

Also; now we have a new debate! Point side up or down when angling your brisket in a mes? :-D

Reactions: tallbm
Great experiment. Looks like and sounds like it turned out good. This is what this forum is about. People helping and experimenting.

Great job.

Nice experiment. Thanks for posting. I wonder if a well placed piece of foil on the "bottom" portion of the brisket the portion that is closer to the heat would help deflect some of those higher temps.

Also; now we have a new debate! Point side up or down when angling your brisket in a mes? :-D
Lol, right! Lots of difference options/scenarios now.

Nice work!
It looks like you are on to something. As with all things pioneered, it is rarely perfect the first few times around.
Keep at it and let us know how the next one turns out :)

MES 40’s are on sale at Academy sports online for $199.00.
While that is tempting, I am most likely going to be getting a rec tec after the first of the year. Which should solve my problems with larger packers, lol. In the meantime I hope to try one more packer slanted with a few changes to see if it improves.

Hey all! Sadly I won’t be able to test this method any further, but would love it if someone else took it upon themselves to do it fat side up. Rec Tec had a great Black Friday deal I couldn’t pass up and got it early. I just don’t have the room for both and already have a buyer for my new.

I think this way worked great and only had a few crispy spots. The brisket was still tender and delicious!!

Reactions: mooncusser
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky