P1 ...P5 on a pellet smoker controller?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ncage4

Original poster
Jan 18, 2020
Hi guys i think, at least on the cheaper units, you generally have a little rotary dial on controller that you can set from P1 to P5 (i think its higher but thats the highest i've set it. The default for my smoker was P2. My understanding is that the higher the P value you choose the more temp swings you will have with your smoker but in part the more smokey your food will be. Is my understanding correct?

thanks...

Reactions: kruizer
I don't know about yours but my default is 4, I have a pit boss, the higher the number the longer between auger runs, it causes temp swings, the lower the number the more often it runs and temps will stay more even. I have never ran mine below the default, I have ran it to 6, with the higher numbers there is a chance of a flameout, if your pot is clean you will have more of a chance of that, your owners manual should tell you a general idea of how it operates ,testing is always tasty and lots of fun learning new cookers. good luck

On my PitBoss the p-setting only works on the "smoke" setting not the regular temp numbers. It does work, takes some getting used to.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky