Oysters!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

73saint

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Mar 8, 2017
Near New Orleans La
Got a mini sack on a whim today, we were craving oysters on the half shell. I shucked until my heart was content, and we gorged on beautiful raw oysters. My cocktail sauce is simple: ketchup, plenty of horseradish, lemon juice and Tabasco.
4EF6FB9A-F978-45E1-BDCB-2D38C64E7047.jpeg
3C761E61-3FDE-4A98-BC5E-B7014AB095EA.jpeg
F72664EF-759C-4FCB-8A6C-00D20AE945B0.jpeg

Of course, with all of these oysters, we had to char grill some. So I shucked another couple dozen, prepped my sauce and got a hot bed of charcoals going. My sauce consisted of melted butter, minced garlic, fresh parsley & oregano; then my dry ingredients which were fresh grated Parmesan, cracked black pepper and grated pecorino Romano.

93145BC9-A819-4CFB-94A2-C6AD62771974.jpeg
Got the oysters on the hot coals, and started to add my butter mixture. About a tablespoon per oyster. Then I top the oysters with the cheese and pepper mixture. You have to lid from time to time to keep the flames under control.
2012DE98-8BD4-437C-8E85-A6CCEAC9FD48.jpeg
Total cook time isn’t long, maybe 5 minutes. They are ready when the edges start to curl up.

CA7C687A-8CF3-4311-AE3F-3419AC556F82.jpeg
AC801F0B-13AC-440A-90BB-0FB9F8932CE9.jpeg
5CE3DEDD-A4B7-4EBD-AC06-E5F6E622377B.jpeg
6A3143BB-FD05-4DAF-BB51-0AB64D6E8450.jpeg

They didn’t last long, raw and chargrilled are my favorite way to eat them. Maybe we’ll fry some up tomorrow, for an encore!

happy Mardi Gras!

Oysters a great anyway but raws on the 1/2 shell with a splash of hot sauce get my :emoji_ballot_box:
As long as it's September thru February (and first week of March this year) I will eat the hell out of some raw oysters but my favorite way is Smoked Oysters Casso.
Oyster onda 1/2 shell
balsamic
EVOO
dash of tabasco
dash of basil
diced sun dried tomato
crumpled bacon
with a little Parmesan cheese on top.

OMG! Heaven!!

As long as it's September thru February (and first week of March this year) I will eat the hell out of some raw oysters but my favorite way is Smoked Oysters Casso.
Oyster onda 1/2 shell
balsamic
EVOO
dash of tabasco
dash of basil
diced sun dried tomato
crumpled bacon
with a little Parmesan cheese on top.

OMG! Heaven!!
That sounds incredible!

That sounds incredible!
Oh...TO DIE FOR my friend!
Use to serve them at a little restaurant in Prairieville.....Onda Half Shell...But the owner sold and took that recipe with them since it was their name sake. I finally...after years of looking....ran into on of the old waitresses and pried the recipe out of her.
With hot french bread and a cold beer...man I can hurt myself....

Reactions: 73saint
Haven’t had oysters in years! Yours look amazingly good!
Point!
Thanks Yankee! We finished em off last night. I can smell garlic coming out of my pores ha!
AB661DB2-3ACB-4E4E-B859-B5D697CAA11C.jpeg
These were the last of em. Much smaller but we still chargrilled them. So so good.

The small ones are the best! We used to get the small Yamamotos on the coast and steam them. We called them Yoko Ono's because there is a resemblance. :D
Steamed or grilled is my favorite though I ate an oyster stuffing on Christmas yrs ago that was fantastic. I need to find a recipe for it.

Reactions: 73saint
The small ones are the best! We used to get the small Yamamotos on the coast and steam them. We called them Yoko Ono's because there is a resemblance. :D
Steamed or grilled is my favorite though I ate an oyster stuffing on Christmas yrs ago that was fantastic. I need to find a recipe for it.
My family has an oyster dressing recipe that’s to die for, I’ll get my hands on it and share it with the group....

Ohhhhh---Now I'm Jealous!!
I'd be all over those "Chargrilled Oysters"!!!
Awesome!
Like.

Bear
Thanks Bear, yeah we absolutely gorged ourselves on charbroiled errsters over a two day span. Even in New Orleans you pay an arm and a leg if you go out for em. It was nice to have them in the comforts of our own back yard, and as many as we wanted.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky