Oyster Pies

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bearcarver

Gone but not forgotten RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Sep 12, 2009
Macungie, PA
No I'm not making these, I get them from a nearby church (Huff's Church).

Anyone not too far away, let me know, and I'll find out when their next time is, and get you the phone number & directions to the church.

This church takes orders for Oyster Pies, and has a 9AM to Noon pick-up time on a Saturday.

My Father-inlaw always got 5 pies, and I got 5 pies, but now he's 90 years old now, and he only wanted 2, so I figured why change my order, I'll take 8 myself, because they are GREAT!  They also freeze & thaw fine!

There are at least 6 Oysters in each Pie, and they cost $5.50 per Pie.

Bear

Looks like one Pie went AWOL before the picture!

39e06f17_DSC02030.jpg

I don't add milk---I love them just the way they are:

5c696427_DSC02032.jpg

Nice Pie:

87110acc_DSC02045.jpg

Close-up:

852d934c_DSC02047.jpg

I have never heard of those and I live in Louisiana. I make chicken pot pies alot guess I could just put in some good ol Louisiana Oysters...Thanks for showing us those Bear !!!!

I shoulda known it was you!  Before I clicked on the thread I was thinking, wow, I only ever heard of them around here!  We have a local restaurant, Harpoon Louie's, "home to the famous oyster pie"!  I'm curious as to how the amish and PA Dutch originally came to have all these oysters to cook with!  I love church fund raisers like this!  And church yard sales, they always have good vegetable soup to keep ya warm while you're looking around.  And Lord the bake sales!  Scoop me up some wet bottom shoo fly pie and apple dumplings! 

Good deal there bear!!

Hey Bear, Is Huff's Church by Landis Store? (Landis Store is a fairly nice but quite expensive place to eat).  I think I've been by this Church!

Hey Bear, Is Huff's Church by Landis Store? (Landis Store is a fairly nice but quite expensive place to eat).  I think I've been by this Church!
Yes, right near Landis Store.

The church has the Oyster Pies either once or twice a year, and they are excellent.

They even have a guy there counting Oysters. He said they all have 6 Oysters in each pie, unless one is small---then they add another one in that pie.  
biggrin.gif

I never knew it was only around our neck of the woods, but it seems most of the guys never heard of them.

Reminds me of the old PA Dutch commercial----"Get ta know what goot iss!"

BTW: The church is spelled "Huff's Church", but the people I know from over there say it, "Hoof's Church".   LOL

Dutch are funny. When I was little, my Grandmother called me Chunny (Johnny), and my brother was Chimmy (Jimmy).

They also had trouble with their Vs & Ws.  My Dad had a buddy named Howard, but he said "Hoverd", and Millersville is pronounced Millerswille.

Bear

I shoulda known it was you!  Before I clicked on the thread I was thinking, wow, I only ever heard of them around here!  We have a local restaurant, Harpoon Louie's, "home to the famous oyster pie"!  I'm curious as to how the amish and PA Dutch originally came to have all these oysters to cook with!  I love church fund raisers like this!  And church yard sales, they always have good vegetable soup to keep ya warm while you're looking around.  And Lord the bake sales!  Scoop me up some wet bottom shoo fly pie and apple dumplings! 

Good deal there bear!!
Don't forget the Funnel Cake!

I have no idea what an oyster pie is but I like the two separately so I cant imagine I wouldn't like them combined. They sure do look tasty though and it looks like you got enough to last you a week or so. haha

Ross, Wille, Al, and Roller,

They are similar to pot pie.

The guts is mostly cubed up potatoes, whole oysters, and sliced up hardboiled eggs, with some seasonings added.

Some people add a little warm milk. I would only do that if they were too dry, and these are not dry at all.

I even vacuum packed some of them to spread them out for me! (Mrs Bear doesn't eat any seafood).

No seafood---Not crazy about smoked meat!----------- She must have used up all of her good taste when she picked her husband !  
rolleyes.gif

Awesome stuff!

Bear

Growing up on  Puget Sound, I had to learn of oyster dressing from my Kansas born wife. Now I learn of oyster pie from a bear in PA.

Did I lead a sheltered life or what ??????

Growing up on  Puget Sound, I had to learn of oyster dressing from my Kansas born wife. Now I learn of oyster pie from a bear in PA.

Did I lead a sheltered life or what ??????
LOL---One of these days, I'll have to do a PA Dutch "Hot Bacon Dressing" thread.

That'll finish you off!

Bear

My mom was German, but I never heard of those.  With the potatoes and eggs, they gotta be good though.  Thanks for posting.  Now I am off to Google.

Good luck and good smoking.

Another thanks for the recipe Bear.  Saved me the research time.  Man, with some fiddling with that sauce, I could imagine all kinds of seafood variations on this little baby!

Good luck and good smoking!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky