Overnight Picnic Roast in my MES40

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

uncle eddie

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
May 14, 2016
Central Missouri
We bought a 10 pound picnic roast at Walmart (the only place we can find whole picnic roast) and I trimmed off about 1.5 pounds of skin and thick fat.
SPG for seasoning about 4 hours before smoking it.
It went into the MES40 last night at 8:00 PM (AMNPS - Hickory) at 250F.
No water in pan - ever.
This picnic roast was never wrapped and we use no spritzes or bastes.
I pulled it this morning at 9:50 AM at a probe-tender IT of 199F.
It is resting now, wrapped in foil, sealed in a large Tupperware, in a large cooler and covered with towels.
I will shred it about 5:00 PM.

I have rested a Boston Butt for 5 hours this way and it was still in the upper 150's...too hot to touch without gloves.
I will check and post the IT after this 7 hour rest.

Pics below:
IMG_5276.jpg

IMG_5277.jpg

IMG_5278.jpg

IMG_5279.jpg

That looks mighty fine. How can you possibly wait 7 hours to indulge in pork perfection? You have a stronger will than me that is for certain.
G

ha-ha - I know what you mean. But as I am sure you know, PP is done when its done. This one just happened to sprint to the finish line with a shorter than average stall.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky