overnight packer

Discussion in 'Beef' started by thesmokist, Jun 4, 2015.

1. thesmokist

thesmokist Meat Mopper

tonight I'm doing a 13 lb packer that injected with a beef stock, Worcestershire and beefy onion soup that stuff worked so well with the chuckies that I thought I'd do the brisket with it to and see how it comes out. I rubbed it with SPOG and a lil mesquite rub on top. sorry didn't get picks of the rub process but man this is a big slab of meat!
    Im smokin it with the jack Daniels aging barrel chips and a few cherry pellets thrown in. I'll post some more picks when it is done

oldschoolbbq likes this.
  2. thesmokist

thesmokist Meat Mopper

I put the packer on last night @9pm at 230 and hit it with smoke for about for four hours and it's now 9:30am and it looks killer getting a great bark. I only checked it once at about 5 am and it was 154 degrees now it's down to 150 but I noticed its dripping some good juice so I imagine it's in the stall period. I wasn't planning on wrapping it and I didn't separate it so hopefully it pushes through this stall pretty soon. pica to come when it's done

3. bmaddox

bmaddox Master of the Pit

That is an interesting injection mix. Can't wait to hear how it turns out. 

4. thesmokist

thesmokist Meat Mopper

yeah tryin to add brisket to my resume so I'm trying some different things

5. chef willie

chef willie Master of the Pit OTBS Member

sounds good....believe I just saw a Pitmasters episode where they used beef broth & wooshy as the base inject with some seasonings added...looked legit.....Willie

6. i want to do a brisky so bad but id have to cut it up because i just have a 14.5 wsm... a whole one wont fit... at all 

7. thesmokist

thesmokist Meat Mopper

the brisky came out awesome! the injection I used was really good and it came out just right my boys have eaten just about all of it already. I did burnt ends with just commercial bbq sauce with honey and a lil hoisin. I deglazed the drip pan and made a mop sauce for my slices that I will def do again!
    thought I would add it cooked about 20 hours and at 190 degrees was just right

Last edited: Jun 5, 2015
  8. Nice Smoke, Looks great

Gary

9. b-one

b-one Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Looks tasty, burnt ends are my fave!

10. oldschoolbbq

oldschoolbbq Smoking Guru OTBS Member

That's about the right time for that Hunker [​IMG]  And it looks as if you carried it through 'Naked' [​IMG]  . Great Bark [​IMG]  .

It looks as if the Smoke ring is nice , also [​IMG].

Have fun and . . .

11. thesmokist

thesmokist Meat Mopper

tha
    thats ok man cutting it in two won't hurt

12. thesmokist

thesmokist Meat Mopper

I'm bragging a lil bit but even cold right out of the fridge that brisket is phenomenal!