Overdone, but still goooooood!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gmc2003

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 15, 2012
Well, I finally had a day off, and the weather wasn't to bad. So I decided to consume a few PBR antibiotics and cook up some steaks. This is a simple cook using the SnS and 26er.

First up season the steaks with some SnP:
DSC01926.JPG

Then fire up the charcoal starter: Notice the smoke I remember reading a recent post mentioning the amount of smoke produced. This is normal for me.
DSC01927.JPG

The beer pole is back in action:
DSC01928.JPG

The coals are hot, hot hot:
DSC01929.JPG

Another recent post talked about grill brushes. This is mine. It's a couple three years old:
DSC01930.JPG

Steaks on:
DSC01932.JPG

...and the flip once the meat freely gives up:
DSC01933.JPG

The sliced shot: about 5* above what I was shooting for - total bummer
DSC01935.JPG

Fully plated: Overdone steak, locally grown sweet corn and potato/egg salad. Dinner was good despite my mistakes.
DSC01939.JPG

Thanks for taking a looksie.

Chris

Looks great Chris. I used to be hung up on "perfect doneness" with steaks. Honestly they all taste wonderful lol. Yours is close to perfection for me

Man, I’d tear that up Chris. 5* one way or another won’t bother my tape worm. Nice solid meal. Me likey

That looks mighty good to me nice job

Chris those look medium rare to medium to medium to me. I’ll bet they were very good. I’d sure devour them.

Chris , great looking steaks, I like mine done not any pink..... I know but that is how I like them.... lol

So throw them on a little longer for me

Thanks ps : glad the beer pole is not just a shadow of it self

David

Steaks look terrible, beer post looks phenomenal. Ha ha. . . just kidding. I would be all over that steak.

looks really good. Question for you as I am thinking of getting a Weber Kettle- why put up the divider rather than just put the charcoal in the middle? You don't need an indirect zone I assume. Just curious. Maybe to concentrate the heat better?

Looks great Chris. I used to be hung up on "perfect doneness" with steaks. Honestly they all taste wonderful lol. Yours is close to perfection for me

Almost all you mean, my roommate likes her Filet Mignon cooked to ultra super well done. A fatty cut like a RIb Eye or Porterhouse can be edible in a crysis when cooked to 170. Filet at 170's terribad.

Looks great to me.
I like my steak anywhere from medium to done.
Wife wants no pink so I usually get prime strip loin to keep it from drying out. (We don't eat steak very often.)

I just pile my lump in a corner for grilling. The SnS appears to push the fuel higher to grate level.

You have more grass than me this year. I haven't mowed since June.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky