Over Heated on Seasoning?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by smokndoyle, May 12, 2014.

1. I have a Masterbuilt smoker/cooker that Cabela's sells. It is a painted (not stainless) propane and charcoal vertical smoker, which can be used as a grill, also.

I fired it up to do the initial burn off yesterday and I wonder if I over did it.

The manual is a bit sketchy on details and just says 2 - 4 hours at 200 degrees and to put a couple chunks of wood in.

I let it get up to 550 degrees and mostly held it around 375. I figured if it was a grill, I should get it a bit hotter than I would grill at.

I gave it a total of about 3 and a half hours.

There was some off white discoloration on the propane burner stand and it still had a little paint smell after I shut it off.

The instructions did not say to oil it, so I didn't. The racks are porcelain coated.

My question is: Did I get it too hot and cause the paint to burn? Should I give it another session until the smell is completely gone?

Thanks,

Doyle

2. oldschoolbbq

oldschoolbbq Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Doyle, don't get upset. You followed MB's instructions, it was their mis-leading that caused the problems. 1st., you'll never need to cook at 550*F , 350*F is high enough. Just re-season with any Pam , Veggie Oil , etc. , then heat to 350*F for and hour and if possible  2nd , cook a Pork Butt in it to get some real grease on it.

Your discolored parts can be remedied with some steel wool and a can of high-temp. paint.(Wally World).

It sounds like you have a problem with patience... heed my matra and as I always say . . .

3. Thanks, Old School,

My Grand Pa always said "If a little bit is good, then a whole lot more is better." So, I applied that logic to the burn off. I won't be so aggressive when there is food in it. 

All the discoloration is on the outside. So, I think it is fine. Touching up the discolored spots might be a good idea for rust prevention, though.

I have some fish lined up for the first smoke, but a butt might be next.

Thanks,

Doyle