Over Heated on Seasoning?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokndoyle

Original poster
Apr 28, 2014
Grand Rapids, MI
I have a Masterbuilt smoker/cooker that Cabela's sells. It is a painted (not stainless) propane and charcoal vertical smoker, which can be used as a grill, also.

I fired it up to do the initial burn off yesterday and I wonder if I over did it.

The manual is a bit sketchy on details and just says 2 - 4 hours at 200 degrees and to put a couple chunks of wood in.

I let it get up to 550 degrees and mostly held it around 375. I figured if it was a grill, I should get it a bit hotter than I would grill at.

I gave it a total of about 3 and a half hours.

There was some off white discoloration on the propane burner stand and it still had a little paint smell after I shut it off.

The instructions did not say to oil it, so I didn't. The racks are porcelain coated.

My question is: Did I get it too hot and cause the paint to burn? Should I give it another session until the smell is completely gone?

Thanks,

Doyle

Doyle, don't get upset. You followed MB's instructions, it was their mis-leading that caused the problems. 1st., you'll never need to cook at 550*F , 350*F is high enough. Just re-season with any Pam , Veggie Oil , etc. , then heat to 350*F for and hour and if possible  2nd , cook a Pork Butt in it to get some real grease on it.

Your discolored parts can be remedied with some steel wool and a can of high-temp. paint.(Wally World).

It sounds like you have a problem with patience... heed my matra and as I always say . . .

Thanks, Old School,

My Grand Pa always said "If a little bit is good, then a whole lot more is better." So, I applied that logic to the burn off. I won't be so aggressive when there is food in it. 

All the discoloration is on the outside. So, I think it is fine. Touching up the discolored spots might be a good idea for rust prevention, though.

I have some fish lined up for the first smoke, but a butt might be next.

Thanks,

Doyle

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky