Oven bologna help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

TheNoviceCook

Original poster
Jan 1, 2021
I recently made a 80/20 mix of venison and bacon sausage. It was 20 pounds and then i added 4lbs of cheese. I used 1 cup of morton tender quick and baked until i hit an internal temp of about 155. The end product is good and ive been eating it. I did not let the meat cure and instead cooked it immediately....is this safe? Its my first time ever making the bologna and now im worried i may get sick. I started at 170 for 2 hours and they got to 130 it. Then i bumped it up to 200 and hit 155. Then because im paranoid i bumped it to 240 for about 5 minutes until i saw 157 and oulled them out to ice then rest on counter. Any help please? My dad gave some to his friend and im conserned

You are fine. The flavor profile is always better with a 12 to 24 hour wait. The nitrite level is safe to consume to start with. Nitrite naturally breaks down to nitric oxide after interacting with myoglobin, the cooking process speeds up this break down some. Once the product has been made for 24 hrs only small amounts of nitrite remain. You are ok, just don’t do it again without sodium erythorbate! Lol

You are fine. The flavor profile is always better with a 12 to 24 hour wait. The nitrite level is safe to consume to start with. Nitrite naturally breaks down to nitric oxide after interacting with myoglobin, the cooking process speeds up this break down some. Once the product has been made for 24 hrs only small amounts of nitrite remain. You are ok, just don’t do it again without sodium erythorbate! Lol
I was worried about botulism. Didnt know the nitrate could be an issue though!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky