Outdoor fryer

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

NefariousTrashMan

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Aug 28, 2022
Missouri
So I currently have a butterball turkey fryer that was given to me and it’s just about dead. I have been in the process of working on my outdoor kitchen and I would like to add a fryer. Would electric be the best option? Or something like the Cajun propane fryer? Do any of you have an outdoor fryer that works best for you? Thanks for the help! The picture is of what I’m working on right now.

Attachments

• E7188CB6-79D3-40EA-98D0-982AE2147186.jpeg
    E7188CB6-79D3-40EA-98D0-982AE2147186.jpeg
    173 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
I have a Bayou Classic 700 9 gallon fryer, and absolutely love it.

thumbnail.jpg

Only con with this one is the amount of oil it takes to fill it. It heats up fast and once you get it dialed in holds a steady temp. During heat up that burner is loud, sounds like a jet. And there is no waiting in between rounds, this thing is all business. They do make 1 and 2 basket units. If you have any questions fire away.

Dave

I too have a cajun fryer mine is a bit older

I have a Bayou Classic 700 9 gallon fryer, and absolutely love it.

View attachment 660761

Only con with this one is the amount of oil it takes to fill it. It heats up fast and once you get it dialed in holds a steady temp. During heat up that burner is loud, sounds like a jet. And there is no waiting in between rounds, this thing is all business. They do make 1 and 2 basket units. If you have any questions fire away.

Dave
I’m thinking this is the route I would like to go. Now the question is will a 4 gallon one work or should I just go bigger and never look back 🤣

Reactions: Flatrate
A 4 gal is a good size unless you entertain large groups mine is a 17 gal which is like 2 of the one's Hammer has hooked together but it's not stainless. The only good thing is I don't have to fire both of them up to use it and it's way over kill but I got a really good deal on it.

Even when I had a countertop electric fryer it was done outside and on an extension cord to get away from structure.
Now I have a 2 gallon propane fryer and it is used maybe once a year.
Kids left home and neither married yet so no family gatherings.
Wife and I don't eat a lot of fried foods.
I’m thinking this is the route I would like to go. Now the question is will a 4 gallon one work or should I just go bigger and never look back 🤣
It is what you "need" well maybe "want", too.
Make sure it has wheels. From my father that was a fireman for 40 years and a son that is a fireman (yeah skipped a generation) get it away from structure in use.

Here's a picture of mine
Wow

Reactions: bill1 and Flatrate
Man, that's a lot of oil! How long does it last before having to be tossed? I have a SS turkey fryer that might get used every other year, tho I pan fry chicken and pork chops a few times a month on my stove. Just wondering, cooking oil ain't cheap. RAY

My fryer was inside because I had just gotten it. It was not used indoors I was the firefighter in my younger years.

Man, that's a lot of oil! How long does it last before having to be tossed? I have a SS turkey fryer that might get used every other year, tho I pan fry chicken and pork chops a few times a month on my stove. Just wondering, cooking oil ain't cheap. RAY
I rarely fill and fire up both sides we have for a Gathering in the past but usually one side will produce plenty to keep up with demand. As for how long the oil lasts that depends on what's being fried and the same things that affect the inside fryer although with these fryers the burners are not on the bottom so stuff can fall down below the burners and there is a valve on the side for letting the oil out which means it can be filtered pretty easily

OK, so I know that a fish fry will require more change than fried chicken. How long does the oil last in summertime if you have a crowd for fried chicken? Can you refrigerate afterwards for future use, or does it make good fertilizer?

Can usually run the same oil for the summer but I don't fry fish don't like to eat fish :emoji_laughing:

Reactions: sawhorseray
I fill fresh in the spring and toss it in the fall. Mine is mainly used for wings, fries, onion rings, etc. So the oil doesn't get real gunked up and I do filter in regularly.

The cost of oil is crazy! I only run LouAna peanut oil and got 3 jugs in the utility room for the coming season, it was $150. I am going to start looking for other options.

have a butterball turkey fryer that was given to me and it’s just about dead.

I have the same one I think The basket is shaped like a turkey.
It is electric. I have not used it in the house. Either on the deck or in the shop.
Hate the smell of oil in the house. And I cooked in restaurants for over 20 years, thats probably why.

I love ours but it takes a bit to come back up to temp when busy. My oil lasts for quite awhile, unless I am doing loose batter ( dry breading )
I think the last time I used was for my Churros.
15.JPG DSC_3471 - Copy (2).JPG

I find it is a good fryer. But not if I had a big crowd

David

Attachments

• 16.JPG
    16.JPG
    225.8 KB · Views: 37
Wow, a guy would have to take out a bank loan to fill that thing with oil with todays prices! Very nice fryer though!

I was wondering the same thing.
It lasts a long time and it's very rare that I fill both sides. It is two fryers put together basically each side has it's own controls and propane tank. Look at the one Hammer has mine has that size compartment but there are two fastened together under the same lid. The only thing the two fryers share is the lid. When using both sides there are six baskets. The only time I've had both sides full and both sides were used was at a Gathering and Eman was frying ribs in one and onion rings in the other. He did a couple other things at the same time to I think don't really remember I do remember he liked it lol.
I fill fresh in the spring and toss it in the fall. Mine is mainly used for wings, fries, onion rings, etc. So the oil doesn't get real gunked up and I do filter in regularly.

The cost of oil is crazy! I only run LouAna peanut oil and got 3 jugs in the utility room for the coming season, it was $150. I am going to start looking for other options.
That's about what I do but the time of the year may be different and I no longer use peanut oil for a couple reasons. One reason is cost and the other is people that are allergic to peanuts I never really know who may be here eating so it's one less thing to worry about. The other reason is the cost.

David with the burners not being on the very bottom there is room for the loose batter that comes off to fall to the bottom then be filtered out after I'm done cooking. If you haven't already try getting a pork loin and slicing it about 1/2-3/4" slices then cube (tenderize} it batter them then into the fryer, as soon as they come out put a slice of cheese on some then onto a hamburger bun with mayo and sliced dill pickles. Not sure how that sounds but everyone that has had them has had more than one or asked me to fix them at a different time.

My fryer had sat at the store for a long time under a pole barn it needed repainted and one hose replaced. I bought it for less than the 4 gal fryer and got them to throw in two new hoses to go on it. The fryer had never been used just had it there a long time. A friend was with me and he bought one like Hammer has but his isn't stainless either. I don't think they offered stainless for several years.

Reactions: Flatrate
One reason is cost and the other is people that are allergic to peanuts I never really know who may be here eating so it's one less thing to worry about. The other reason is the cost.
Valid point, I always ask when cooking for someone new. My gatherings are usually no more then 10-12 people.

Here is a pic of what Pineywoods mean about the stuff falling to the bottom.

fryerpic.jpg

Dave

Reactions: NefariousTrashMan
I have the same one I think The basket is shaped like a turkey.
It is electric. I have not used it in the house. Either on the deck or in the shop.
Hate the smell of oil in the house. And I cooked in restaurants for over 20 years, thats probably why.

I love ours but it takes a bit to come back up to temp when busy. My oil lasts for quite awhile, unless I am doing loose batter ( dry breading )
I think the last time I used was for my Churros.
View attachment 660822 View attachment 660824

I find it is a good fryer. But not if I had a big crowd

David
Yep that’s the same one I have. It’s been a good fryer but mine now takes forever to come up to temp which is why I was looking at something to replace it with.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky