Order of operations

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

shaneb56

Original poster
Oct 19, 2020
Rochester NY
Hello everyone. I'm debating on when to cut my doors in a 500gal tank. Should I do it now or wait till its mounted on the trailer? I plan on using a cherry picker to lift the tank onto the trailer. Thoughts?

Are you worried about if you cut the doors and then move it that you're gonna warp it? From the fabrication projects I have worked on, it's far easier to work on something if you aren't having to crawl over something else to work on it. My vote is build the smoker on the ground, then mount it once it's all said, done, and painted.

Are you worried about if you cut the doors and then move it that you're gonna warp it? From the fabrication projects I have worked on, it's far easier to work on something if you aren't having to crawl over something else to work on it. My vote is build the smoker on the ground, then mount it once it's all said, done, and painted.
Yes I was worried about that. Thank you for the input. I am going to build it on the ground. I've been asking other places and you're saying the same thing as everyone else. Thank you again.

Here check this out. https://www.pbs.org/video/bbq-franklin-episode-4-pits/
Here is a thread from when I built my 500 gallon smoker.

Reactions: indaswamp
Done it both ways....building it on the ground provides a lot of more flexibility during the build. Mounting it after the build also lets you optimize the center of gravity and weight distribution on the trailer axels.

Here check this out. https://www.pbs.org/video/bbq-franklin-episode-4-pits/
Here is a thread from when I built my 500 gallon smoker.

Awesome! How did you get the smoker on the trailer?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky