Orange Wood

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I've been using my fruit tree cuttings, peach, apple, pear, etc for smoking everything from ribs to brisket to kielbasa (cherry), and yes, i've used a chainsaw to cut them.  I have never noticed any bad flavor from the bar oil.  I think worrying about this is a little anal.  That stuff is a very thin oil that evaporates pretty quickly, any my wood seasons a long time before i use it.  

I have used orange wood to smoke with for years. We cut 80 old growth trees off my property and I stock piled a bunch of the wood. It burns very clean and leaves only a fine greyish ash. We even used a bunch in the fireplace.
My experience with it is a mild smoke taste. I would recommend it.

Any fruitwood would work. I have tried many and get a different but suttle sweet flavor from each..........
biggrin.gif

I realize this post is old but I tried Orange wood on some chicken breasts tonight and wow everyone loved it even the kids! When a 6 & 8 year old approve you must have done something right

Man I wish you were closer to me in Oklahoma! I use apple, cherry, and peach. I've had discussions with folks who say you should use them green to get the best smoke. I have always used them somewhat seasoned. I like the mild smoke. Good on lighter foods. Still use Oklahoma pecan and/or hickory for the big packers, ribs, and butts.

Green wood will not burn well in a real smoker like a stick burner. Needs to be seasoned to burn well.

I've been using my fruit tree cuttings, peach, apple, pear, etc for smoking everything from ribs to brisket to kielbasa (cherry), and yes, i've used a chainsaw to cut them. I have never noticed any bad flavor from the bar oil. I think worrying about this is a little anal. That stuff is a very thin oil that evaporates pretty quickly, any my wood seasons a long time before i use it.

Never had a problem using my chainsaw with stihl oil. Not one customer has complained about anything and most the oil gets flung off the end of the bar and goes in the chip, so none really left on the wood. Stihl might use vegetable oil anyway I think

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky