Options for Pellet Smokers

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jwagner5299

Original poster
Nov 26, 2019
While I have been smoking food for 10+ yrs religiously on numerous smokers(currently XL BGE), I am in the process of starting a small catering gig and will need something additional to throw into the mix. My main need is large cooking surface areas(Traeger Timberline 1300 as an example). Looked at numerous from Yoder to Myron Mixon to Rec Tec etc etc.

For those that have done this comparison lately across all price points, what were your findings....

Thanks

For a large cooking surface the Rec Tec BFG is exactly that a Big Friggin Grill. It’s built like a tank and cooks great.
The price point is 3K so it is pricey.
A buddy of mine has one and I have cooked on it. It’ll hold 16 slabs of St. Louis ribs easily.

Johnny Ray

While I have been smoking food for 10+ yrs religiously on numerous smokers(currently XL BGE), I am in the process of starting a small catering gig and will need something additional to throw into the mix. My main need is large cooking surface areas(Traeger Timberline 1300 as an example). Looked at numerous from Yoder to Myron Mixon to Rec Tec etc etc.

For those that have done this comparison lately across all price points, what were your findings....

Thanks

I have a post very similar to yours and I have found both through research and everyones comments, you just can't beat the Rec-Tec's. Both for outstanding customer service and for durability. They're built well and their customer service is second to none it seems. I'm ordering my bull next week hopefully!

I have a RecTec Stampede for 6 months now and love it. It was a tough decision with Grilla Silverback coming in a close second. The tipping points were the PID controller, wifi and 30 day money back guarantee from RecTec.
I had never had a pellet grill so not sure I would like it. So the guarantee sealed the deal in my mind.

I have the Rec Tec 680 (predecessor to the RT 700), a Rec Tec Bullseye, a Rec Tec Matador and I had a Rec Tec Mini (wish I had never sold it).
Needless to say I’m a big fan of Rec Tec.

I will probably buy a new Bullseye when they are reintroduced early next year.

Johnny Ray

As I understand it they are redesigning the Bullseye Pellet Grill with their PID controller.

I’m referring to the Bullseye Pellet Grill not the RT 700.

Johnny Ray

Reactions: kstone113
As I understand it they are redesigning the Bullseye Pellet Grill with their PID controller.

I’m referring to the Bullseye Pellet Grill not the RT 700.

Johnny Ray
Yes, they are re-introducing the BullsEye with a PID controller(not wi fii) and some other options. I know the handle on the hopper is out further, has a chaos mode which is full blast high. Not sure what else but I am definitely going to get one to compliment my Bull and I'll probably end up using the Bullseye more.

For those who have used a Green Egg or similar, how does the flavor compare. I like the whole natural charcoal/wood taste, just not sure how pellet smoke compares.

I use to have a BGE. Never really slowed cooked on it but grilled on it a lot. A pellet grill will put a much milder smoke on meat than the BFG.
Some people use a smoke tube to supplement the smoke on their pellet grills but I don’t ever use one.

Johnny Ray

I use to have a BGE. Never really slowed cooked on it but grilled on it a lot. A pellet grill will put a much milder smoke on meat than the BFG.
Some people use a smoke tube to supplement the smoke on their pellet grills but I don’t ever use one.

Johnny Ray
TY for input

For those who have used a Green Egg or similar, how does the flavor compare. I like the whole natural charcoal/wood taste, just not sure how pellet smoke compares.
Any Pellet grill(doesn't matter the brand) will not have the heavy smoke taste from charcoal/wood. Pellet smoke is way more subtle. Some love it because they don't like heavy smoke taste. Some will say just add a pellet tube or something but from what I've noticed, that just doesn't work that well.

I plan to added a cold smoker from SmokeDaddy to my Rec Tec for adding smoke on those longer smokes like brisket and ribs and maybe even chicken. And I will get the temperature control from Rec Tec and plenty of smoke like an offset.

Any Pellet grill(doesn't matter the brand) will not have the heavy smoke taste from charcoal/wood. Pellet smoke is way more subtle. Some love it because they don't like heavy smoke taste. Some will say just add a pellet tube or something but from what I've noticed, that just doesn't work that well.

I plan to added a cold smoker from SmokeDaddy to my Rec Tec for adding smoke on those longer smokes like brisket and ribs and maybe even chicken. And I will get the temperature control from Rec Tec and plenty of smoke like an offset.

I'm getting my pellet grill this weekend. I'm a little worried about lack of flavor since I'm coming from an offset. That said, I've looked at the smoke tubes and even the SmokeDaddy and while people seem to like them, I'm majorly turned off by the advertising pictures showing billowing white smoke pouring out of these things. In all my (admittedly limited) bbq experience white smoke makes your food taste like a campfire, barely visible smoke is your friend. Not sure what I'll do if I find the smoke a little light from my pellet pooper. First thing will be to just jump to a stronger flavored wood like Pecan, Hickory or Mesquite.

Reactions: kstone113
I'm getting my pellet grill this weekend. I'm a little worried about lack of flavor since I'm coming from an offset. That said, I've looked at the smoke tubes and even the SmokeDaddy and while people seem to like them, I'm majorly turned off by the advertising pictures showing billowing white smoke pouring out of these things. In all my (admittedly limited) bbq experience white smoke makes your food taste like a campfire, barely visible smoke is your friend. Not sure what I'll do if I find the smoke a little light from my pellet pooper. First thing will be to just jump to a stronger flavored wood like Pecan, Hickory or Mesquite.
It is all about preference. I see countless posts about people switching from offset and being completely satisfied with the smoke profile or they just add a smoke tube. I'm just stating my preference that I want some more smoke like an offset even though I'm not coming from an offset. I first used a vertical propane smoker. See how you like it first.
Getting 100% pellets like hickory helps also.

And as far as smokedaddy - there is a long thread about their Heavy D heat diffuser and another thread on here about their cold smoker Magnum P.I.G. The cold smokers I would highly recommend to you if you don't get the smoke profile you are looking for. Though you might say to yourself, I"m getting a pellet grill for convenience and not to have to maintain a (mini) fire again so I can't speak again that. Just that you don't always need the extra smoke and only have to use when you need it which is nice. Smokedaddy's cold smokers are just like keeping a mini fire and does produce great quality smoke if done right. If you jam pack it without the fire going right, it will give you that white pillowing smoke. You will see that same kind of smoke when you start a pellet grill until the fire gets going. Same concept.

Magnum P.I.G. thread:

Heavy D thread:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky