Opinions & thoughts on using Norton coarse Kosher salt in Pop's curing brine?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

one eyed jack

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Oct 11, 2014
Coastal NC
It's been several years since I mixed up Pop's brine and I just can't remember what I used for salt. Probably sea salt, but I have a box of Norton Kosher, (coarse), and I don't use much salt, day to day, so I'd rather not buy another box of salt and have half of it laying around.

I've used Pop's reduced salt recipe, in the past. Probably about 1/2 cup per gallon in the recipe. 1/3 to 1/2 cup of Kosher sound OK, or will using Kosher change things?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Size of the grind matters on salt when you are using volume to measure. I.E. less weight per cup with larger grinds...

This is why I recommend measuring salt by weight...then grind size is of less importance because you get the correct amount every time.

Thanks Kieth. Do you have an idea as to what weight I should go for per gal. of water?

I'll rechecked but I don't think that Pop mentioned weight measure for any of his brine ingredients. Just quantity measurements.

From the Morton Kosher box, coarse salt.

"TIP; You can use Morton Kosher salt as you would table salt. For amounts greater than 1/4 cup, increase amount of Kosher salt by 1 tablespoon per 1/4 cup of table salt."

I presume that would compensate for the coarse grain?

Reactions: chopsaw
Just measure it out for Pop's brine . I've used coarse kosher at 1/2 cup per gallon . It works just fine . Mix it by the gallon to cover the meat .
If one gallon won't cover mix two . He told me one time not to mix it in halves .
I mix it at
1/2 cup kosher salt
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 TBLS cure 1
To a gallon of water .

For future conversion, this page lets you convert various salt types by weight and volume

I'm a fan of equilibrium cures where salt and nitrite is just right for meat+water. No guesswork, no soaking to get rid of excess salt, complete repeatability and control. Takes 5 to 7 days.

That calculator or diggingdogfarm.com one will let you do it.But it's darn easy...
Say you have 1kg of meat. 1 L of brine or 1kg will cover it easy in a 2gal bag.
Meat+water =2000g
2% salt = 0.02x 2000g = 40g
2% sugar, same 40g
Bacon, cure1 is 120ppm = 1.9g per kg meat+water = 3.8g

Toss it in water in bag, toss meat in, toss in fridge, done. No guesswork on how salty it will be at end. I like 3% salt for bacon.

For future conversion, this page lets you convert various salt types by weight and volume

I'm a fan of equilibrium cures where salt and nitrite is just right for meat+water. No guesswork, no soaking to get rid of excess salt, complete repeatability and control. Takes 5 to 7 days.

That calculator or diggingdogfarm.com one will let you do it.But it's darn easy...
Say you have 1kg of meat. 1 L of brine or 1kg will cover it easy in a 2gal bag.
Meat+water =2000g
2% salt = 0.02x 2000g = 40g
2% sugar, same 40g
Bacon, cure1 is 120ppm = 1.9g per kg meat+water = 3.8g

Toss it in water in bag, toss meat in, toss in fridge, done. No guesswork on how salty it will be at end. I like 3% salt for bacon.
Weigh water, weigh meat and add cure based on that, I'm good, but mixing a generic brine up and chucking a piece of meat in, well ............

Reactions: Dave in AZ
Just measure it out for Pop's brine . I've used coarse kosher at 1/2 cup per gallon . It works just fine . Mix it by the gallon to cover the meat .
If one gallon won't cover mix two . He told me one time not to mix it in halves .
I mix it at
1/2 cup kosher salt
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 TBLS cure 1
To a gallon of water .
Thanks Rich. Precisely what I was looking for.

Thanks to everyone for your input.

I mix it at
1/2 cup kosher salt
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 TBLS cure 1
To a gallon of water .
Thanks for the tip on not mixing half recipe, Rich. I might have tried that. :emoji_thumbsup:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky