Opinions on pork rib smoking temps. WHATS YOUR TAKE

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Hawging It

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jan 1, 2019
Southeast Mississippi
Greetings all. Since back in the caveman era, I have been smoking pork ribs both Baby Backs and Saint Louis style the same way. Throw em on with whatever rub I like at the time with hickory, black wild cherry or oak splits, sometimes mixing the woods. Most of the time 250 degrees and sometime even lower. Just according how I'm feeling. 99% of the time I don't wrap. Lately I have been curious about higher temps. Maybe 300 degrees. Let me hear from you. What's your favorite temp. Thanks to all and keep on smokin!!

When I first started smoking meats I was one of those diehard 225 guys.When I became a member here I started seeing so many threads with people going 250 or higher.

Other than fish,these days I generally smoke just about everything at 250-260.Skin on poultry higher for the crispy skin.I've not done ribs at 300+ but I could see doing it.

Interesting question Hawging It I too never wrap always low and slow 225. But I see some of the guys are going to a higher temp. Waiting to see what responses you get.

Warren

Last edited:
Reactions: Hawging It
I'm mostly a 250-260 smoker for any kind of meat. the only real thing i do different is if I'm cooking poultry when it's almost done i'll try and crank the temp to 300-350 to quick crisp up the skin at the end. Otherwise my main technique on ribs is bring the smoker up to temp, put the meat on, slowly bring the temp of the smoker back up to 250, spritz with apple juice once an hour until the temp hits 180-185, then take em off, put them in foil on the counter with one final spritz and let them rest for 25-30 min.

I've done a lot of ribs over the last year and it appears you & I are doing basically the same thing. With the Yoder, I run 230 to 250 for +/- 6 hours. I've actually done this a couple of times where I didn't even crack the door for the first 5 hours. I check IT on them but I pull them when they pass the "bend test". It just works so I'm not changing it. Everyone loves the ribs so that's my rib process :) I'm sure they can be cooked higher I just haven't done it so far. I'm fixing to run a few racks in the WSM 22.5 so I suspect I will run those temps a bit higher. With my pellet grill I set the temp and with my WSM I manage the temp.

Hawging It Hawging It , ive been doing a little higher on my st Louis cut ribs. My UDS fluctuates a little bit but I try and keep between 275°-300° . no wrap. Ive not tried it with baby backs and I also dont use any rubs with sugars. Usually just a healthy amount of salt and pepper. Not sure if the higher temps would burn the sugar or not. They come out fantastic and thats my go to temp on spares. Nice tender bite through and not fall off the bone.

Here are a couple pics of the last ones
0823201858.jpg

And my little bite through tester....if it works for him they came out right lol!
0823202018_HDR.jpg 0823202018.jpg

I've done both ways and have had good results both ways. Followed SmokinAl SmokinAl method of "perfect ribs every time " done in masterbuilt 30 at 225 and love them

20191123_221909.jpg

A perfect bite, just how we like them!

20191123_221846.jpg

Also on my $20 kettle... if I remember right I read one of your posts and just piled up the charcoal on one side and let it go unwrapped. I believe it ran around 300 ish. Should mention all our ribs get Jeff's rub on them, we love the flavor.

20200628_184733.jpg

And again, perfect bite!

20200628_192259.jpg

Two totally different methods with same result... ones just faster. Before I found this site most of our ribs were done in a crock pot... so thank you to all of you! Don't think I could eat them anymore, always fall off the bone.

Ryan

For me it doesn’t really matter what temp you smoke them at, since I go by the final IT. If the smoker is running hot they get done sooner, if it’s running at 225 they get done later. I used to obsess about the smoker temp, but now I just let it run where it wants to. Maybe I built the fire a bit too large or a bit too small, doesn’t matter. If you go by IT, when they are done they are done!
Al

I am also in the 250ish range. I like to wrap as well but usually only for an hour or so just to tenderize. Then back in to finish, firm back up, and sauce. Like Al said IT 195 between the bones is the perfect doneness for me!

Reactions: Cabo and Hawging It
For me it doesn’t really matter what temp you smoke them at, since I go by the final IT. If the smoker is running hot they get done sooner, if it’s running at 225 they get done later. I used to obsess about the smoker temp, but now I just let it run where it wants to. Maybe I built the fire a bit too large or a bit too small, doesn’t matter. If you go by IT, when they are done they are done!
Al
Spot on Al. Thanks

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky