Opinions for Roast for sammies

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pi guy

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 28, 2013
SE Michigan
Never done a roast in my smoker before, but thinking for tomorrow's MSU vs uOFm football game, I'd like a nice beef dip sammie. I've seen a few posts here and have a couple of questions if I may?

Is there a preferred cut of roast to use?
How many pounds would be good for 4-6 people?
How long per pound typically should I plan for?
Is there a method (besides wrapping after for a rest) to keep it from drying out too much?

Thinking I'll slice thin against the grain, melt some nice provolone over it and serve with pan seared onions and peppers on a crusty roll or sub bun with a garlic aioli or horseradish spread of some sort.

Maybe do one of your guys' twice baked potatoes or homemade fries with it? I'm up for opinions if anyone cares to share their thoughts?

Thanks!

Is there a preferred cut of roast to use?
How many pounds would be good for 4-6 people?
How long per pound typically should I plan for?
Is there a method (besides wrapping after for a rest) to keep it from drying out too much?
Preferred cut? I buy a lean roast, whatever's on sale and available. I can usually find Cross Rib
Roasts. Basically any lean roast will work, like a bottom round.
How many pounds? Biggest you can get. I like leftovers, so at least a pound per person.
Roast time? Roast at 225F to an IT of 115-125F for a red cut that will hold up to reheating if not served cold. I like to do them the day before I'm going to serve them, then wrap and rest whole in the fridge overnight. Cold is easier to cut, and the juices will have redistributed nicely. 2-4 hours, total time in the smoker.
Drying out too much? Slice it thin, against the grain, and you won't have to worry about dry meat.

First time around I used a knuckle. I felt like there was to much gristle and undesirable chew in it. I used an eye of roast for the last one. Love it! I would imagine any round to medium rare will be good.

Reactions: pi guy
Thanks! I need to let the wife know which to pick up tomorrow. Noboundaries I wish I would have thought of resting it whole overnight like that. I bet that it's better that way, will definitely have to remember for next time.

pi guy What are you using for a smoker?
I just did a Roast Beef it took about 4 hours to get to my temp.
Richie
Tropics, thanks, I'm going to budget 4+ hours. I have a Masterbuilt electric. I forget the model, but it's pretty big, no glass front. I had the smaller one with glass door before but it died (twice) and I could no longer revive it. Wife got me this one last year and so far so good!

Tropics, thanks, I'm going to budget 4+ hours. I have a Masterbuilt electric. I forget the model, but it's pretty big, no glass front. I had the smaller one with glass door before but it died (twice) and I could no longer revive it. Wife got me this one last year and so far so good!

You should be okay with that I went thru 2 MES 40s then I got the Pit Boss.Don't worry about the cooking chamber temp,monitor the meat I missed my temp of 135 but it was okay.
Richie

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky