OPEN FACE ROAST BEEF SAMMIE

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Sowsage

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Oct 18, 2017
Maplewood OH
I was inspired by a thread started a few days back from Bearcarver Bearcarver . he had made a roast beef sammie smothered in gravy and it really got me wanting one. At first I thought his was open face style but it was not. (I guess I just saw what I was hungry for lol!)

Started with a 2.5lb hunk eye of round. Put it in a vac bag with some Lipton beefy onion soup mix and sealed it up. This one went for 22hr @131°f.

Took it out of the bag. (Saved the liquid) and seared the outside on the kettle. Then sliced it up.
0118211932.jpg

For the bread I used the thick texas toast style. I wanted a nice thick piece to soak up as much gravy as I could put on them!. Also had some mashed red potatoes and some peas along with it!

I made myself a huge plate!
0118212124c.jpg

Man this sure hit the spot! My oldest had to go back for seconds! Thanks Bearcarver Bearcarver for the inspiration to make this! Was most excellent !

Looks Awesome Travis!!
Now that's a open-faced RB Sammy, and an Awesome one to boot !!!
I got a long history with "Hot Roast Beef Sammies with Gravy":
When I was a Kid, it was my Goto meal whenever My Parents took us to a Restaurant.
Then when Bear Jr used to go with me to my favorite Local Bar/Restaurant for a meal, his first choice was always that same thing.
BTW: It was always the cheapest meal on the Menu too!!!
Nice Job, Travis!
Like.

Bear

Looks real good Travis. Whenever I smoke a Roast Beef, we slice it real thin and make these just like that. Excellent meal, and with the smoke flavor, instead of in the oven, it's wonderful. We only started doing it from the smoker a year ago. The previous several years was only from the oven. So glad we tried it on a whim, and it worked out so well.
Great work, thanks for sharing.

That looks fantastic! Looking forward to trying to smoke some beef now. I love the look of the sear.

That looks great . I had that last night myself , for the same reason . Lol .

That is some real comfort food!!
It sure is! Especially when there is snow on the ground....this kind of meal really hits the nail on the head!
Looks Awesome Travis!!
Now that's a open-faced RB Sammy, and an Awesome one to boot !!!
I got a long history with "Hot Roast Beef Sammies with Gravy":
When I was a Kid, it was my Goto meal whenever My Parents took us to a Restaurant.
Then when Bear Jr used to go with me to my favorite Local Bar/Restaurant for a meal, his first choice was always that same thing.
BTW: It was always the cheapest meal on the Menu too!!!
Nice Job, Travis!
Like.

Bear
Thanks Bear! Well I can see why! It's good stuff! My kids didnt say one word at dinner time..just kept shoveling it in!! Lol!
Looks real good Travis. Whenever I smoke a Roast Beef, we slice it real thin and make these just like that. Excellent meal, and with the smoke flavor, instead of in the oven, it's wonderful. We only started doing it from the smoker a year ago. The previous several years was only from the oven. So glad we tried it on a whim, and it worked out so well.
Great work, thanks for sharing.
Thanks! No smoke on this one but I think I might try and cold smoke one before going in the SV next time!

Boy howdy Travis, that was a huge favorite back when I got sent to boarding school for being such a wonderful kid, yours looks to be a whole lot better! RAY

Boy howdy Travis, that was a huge favorite back when I got sent to boarding school for being such a wonderful kid, yours looks to be a whole lot better! RAY
Thanks RAY! Lol dont tell my kids that...they might start acting up just so they could get that meal!

Travis that open face sammie looks really good! Nicely done!!

That’s a favorite of mine with some cheese gravy fries on the side. You got me hungry for that now.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky