onto my 2nd brisket

Discussion in 'Beef' started by vintage, Oct 18, 2013.

1. vintage

vintage Newbie

I'm cooking my 2nd brisket tomorrow and wanna make sure im headed in the right direction. I'm doing this one unfoiled and dont plan to mop, should I be mopping every hr or so? I'm leaving it untrimmed and rubbing with equal parts paprika salt & ground pepper or solar ray's rub, will not be injecting but may use olive oil with the rub. Im smoking low n slow @ 225ish, I've read about hot & fast but it seem most people foil with the hot n fast method.

Mostly just posting to see if I'm headed in the right direction. and as always I appreciate comments, critiques & pointers. I will update with pics tomorrow afternoon

2. woodcutter

woodcutter Master of the Pit OTBS Member

What type of smoker are you using?

3. hambone1950

hambone1950 Master of the Pit Group Lead

My brother smokes brisket by the ton in Texas and he never mops. He says it doesn't hurt to mop , but it's something he stopped bothering with and his brisket still comes out nice and moist. He has a big wood fired trailer mounted smoker. Hey , good luck with your brisket. Look forward to seeing it.

4. vintage

vintage Newbie

Im using a traeger jr.

Hambone
    I was kinda thinking along the same lines as ur brother

5. If you go on traegers website they have a recipe for overnight brisket. Follow that and you will be perfect every time

6. vintage

vintage Newbie

Ok headed home with a 17 pounder. Here we go

7. hambone1950

Hooooo-wee! 17 pounds? That is a hunka beef!! Look forward to seeing that on the grates! :grilling_smilie:

8. vintage

vintage Newbie

Here we go!

Barely fits in the junior

9. vintage

vintage Newbie

Can't forget my helper

10. mike65

mike65 Meat Mopper

How many pellets do you think will be used?

11. All of them :) Looks good so far!

12. hambone1950

Ha ha! Good boy! That brisket is his size! Good times , man.:grilling_smilie:

13. raastros2

raastros2 Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

very cool pic! hope thats a preview into my future....seems like yesterday i was helping my dad and grandad

14. foamheart

foamheart Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I'm the same, and ya know I can't seem to think of a single bad menory ever involving helping my Dad cook. They are all good memories.

Thats is bound to be one of the best briskets you'll ever make Vintage, and its a good thing to have such good help.

Enjoy the smoke, it just don't get much better.

PS :: If you would so I don't end up showing my slowing mind by continiously asking, when you get a chance, update your profile and put in a general local as to where you call home on this big rock please sir. It will add help with many discussions by knowing what your weather is like, or how much pork bellies are, or even the type smoker in that local. Thanks.

15. vintage

vintage Newbie

What the heck? Its 12hrs later and put the meat probe in and I'm at 180? I fully expected like 24 hrs of smoking?

16. raastros2

dont worry...a stall i probaly coming

17. raastros2

iv had stalls all the way up to 187

18. vintage

vintage Newbie

Hmmm, its 730 and the brisket is 196? I poked it with a skewer and it slid right through my temp range was 210 to 250. I'm taking it out and wrapping now

19. hambone1950

If its probe tender , it's done! Can't wait to see that bad boy sliced up! I think you want to let it cool a leeeetle bit 'fore you wrap it , so it doesn't continue to cook in the cooler.....is that right , boys?

20. vintage

vintage Newbie