• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

onto my 2nd brisket

vintage

Joined Jan 3, 2012
I'm cooking my 2nd brisket tomorrow and wanna make sure im headed in the right direction. I'm doing this one unfoiled and dont plan to mop, should I be mopping every hr or so? I'm leaving it untrimmed and rubbing with equal parts paprika salt & ground pepper or solar ray's rub, will not be injecting but may use olive oil with the rub. Im smoking low n slow @ 225ish, I've read about hot & fast but it seem most people foil with the hot n fast method.

Mostly just posting to see if I'm headed in the right direction. and as always I appreciate comments, critiques & pointers. I will update with pics tomorrow afternoon

hambone1950

Master of the Pit
Group Lead
Joined Jul 23, 2012
My brother smokes brisket by the ton in Texas and he never mops. He says it doesn't hurt to mop , but it's something he stopped bothering with and his brisket still comes out nice and moist. He has a big wood fired trailer mounted smoker. Hey , good luck with your brisket. Look forward to seeing it.

vintage

Joined Jan 3, 2012
Im using a traeger jr.

Hambone
I was kinda thinking along the same lines as ur brother

meddling kids

Meat Mopper
Joined Mar 14, 2011
If you go on traegers website they have a recipe for overnight brisket. Follow that and you will be perfect every time

raastros2

Smoking Fanatic
OTBS Member
Joined Jan 1, 2012
very cool pic! hope thats a preview into my future....seems like yesterday i was helping my dad and grandad

foamheart

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Apr 4, 2013
I'm the same, and ya know I can't seem to think of a single bad menory ever involving helping my Dad cook. They are all good memories.

Thats is bound to be one of the best briskets you'll ever make Vintage, and its a good thing to have such good help.

Enjoy the smoke, it just don't get much better.

PS :: If you would so I don't end up showing my slowing mind by continiously asking, when you get a chance, update your profile and put in a general local as to where you call home on this big rock please sir. It will add help with many discussions by knowing what your weather is like, or how much pork bellies are, or even the type smoker in that local. Thanks.

vintage

Joined Jan 3, 2012
Hmmm, its 730 and the brisket is 196? I poked it with a skewer and it slid right through my temp range was 210 to 250. I'm taking it out and wrapping now

hambone1950

Master of the Pit
Group Lead
Joined Jul 23, 2012
If its probe tender , it's done! Can't wait to see that bad boy sliced up! I think you want to let it cool a leeeetle bit 'fore you wrap it , so it doesn't continue to cook in the cooler.....is that right , boys?

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.