Only use some burners Blackstone

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

luddite

Original poster
Oct 31, 2023
NW Arkansas
Got a 36 inch Blackstone because I’m tired of running out of cooking space fixing breakfast. Still getting used to it. So far it’s done everything I’ve asked of it. I t’s hreat being able to have different temps across it.

I’ve noticed a lot of complaints about warping on griddles, but so far that hasn’t been an issue.

My question is if it will cause warping if I only turn on and use only two of the burners for small cooks?

Thanks!

Reactions: JLeonard
Been using my 4 burner Blackstone for over a year with partial burners many times even in very cold weather with no problems. I think some early griddles did not have much support under them. If you take a look, the Blackstones have added support runners which helps prevent the warping problem. JMO

I always heat the whole thing up , then turn off the ones I don't need . Like said above , my Blackstone has angle iron welded underneath . I'd be surprised if it warped . I steam it off before and after cooking too .

Reactions: JLeonard
FWIW, the Flat Top King on YouTube says heating too fast can cause warping. He recommends to start heating on a low setting and then gradually increase.

He seems to be pretty good with a griddle.
That was going to be my recommendation as well.

FWIW, the Flat Top King on YouTube says heating too fast can cause warping. He recommends to start heating on a low setting and then gradually increase.

He seems to be pretty good with a griddle.
Yep. Spent enough years in food service to know that. Especially with electric griddles/fryers

Reactions: millerbuilds
I always heat the whole thing up , then turn off the ones I don't need . Like said above , my Blackstone has angle iron welded underneath . I'd be surprised if it warped . I steam it off before and after cooking too .
Thanks! That makes more sense than leaving the unused ones cold.

I noticed all the angle iron and fins. I figured it was to stabilize things and maybe help spread the heat.

Thanks! That makes more sense than leaving the unused ones cold.

I noticed all the angle iron and fins. I figured it was to stabilize things and maybe help spread the heat.
I start mine on high all the time . Usually cook on high too , just depends . I did sliders last night . Heated it to smoking hot . Hit it with some water to steam it off before cooking . That sudden change doesn't affect it , so I doubt there's any worry .

Something else I do , is always light the farthest burners first , then the ones closest to the fuel source . If I don't I sometimes get a raw fuel smell .

I start mine on high all the time . Usually cook on high too , just depends . I did sliders last night . Heated it to smoking hot . Hit it with some water to steam it off before cooking . That sudden change doesn't affect it , so I doubt there's any worry .

Something else I do , is always light the farthest burners first , then the ones closest to the fuel source . If I don't I sometimes get a raw fuel smell .
I understand steaming it to clean it, but why before using it?

I understand steaming it to clean it, but why before using it?
Just good practice in my opinion . I do the same with my grinding / sausage making stuff .
Clean when I'm done , and clean before using the next time .
With the flattop , it takes nothing to spritz some water on a hot surface to kill any nasty that might be there since the last use . Just how I do it .

Reactions: crazymoon and SGMan
Haven't experienced warping on my 36" Blackstone. I do a lot of high temp quick sears,then off again. Hasn't been an issue.

I heat mine up slowly, first 15 minutes on medium low then slowly bring up the burners and back down after the center reaches my cooking temp and back off the sides for holding and warming.

- Jason

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky