Only one smoker / grill?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cooker613

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Nov 12, 2017
Arizona
Have a general question for the folks. How many have only one smoker / grill and how many multiple setups? And for those with more than one, what do you have and why? I have a kamado joe, big joe and a weber kettle for fish.
Thanks,

I only have a Ok Joe. Wait does a webber grill count as two? I primarily smoke on the Joe and grill on the webber. Every so often I will put the indirect metal things in the webber and throw a piece of wood on the charcoal but not sure if that's really smoking versus indirect heat.

I would like to get a propane or electric smoker just so I could knock out a brisky overnight without staying up for a thousand hours at a time.

I have a propane grill for, well, grilling
I have a Smokin' It electric which is my "legacy" smoker. Easy to use, good results, very little monitoring from me
I have a new Louisiana Grills pellet smoker. I get better results than the electric but at the cost of a bit more effort/monitoring.

So, I use whatever I consider best for the task at hand.

I've got a 22"Kettle and a 22"WSM. The kettle is used for grilling and smaller quantity smokes. The WSM is used for larger smokes.

Chris

I have one gas grill, 3 stick burners and one pellet pooper. If I had to choose only one from what I have, it would be the New Braunfels vertical smoker. The firebox opens from the top and I can place a rack over it for grilling, plus it has ample room for large cooks if needed and it is ideal for smoking sausages. Probably one of the best all around smokers one can buy.

Masterbuilt Electric 30- Nowdays its mostly bacon, jerky, cheese, and sausage- set and forget electric with pellet tray smoking

WSM Mini- Tri-tips, whole birds, PP, or other roasts, with or W/O rotisserie. VERY efficient indirect cooker. Portable camping cooker. Also doubles as a grill for smaller cooks. Added BBQ Guru for set and forget using charcoal/wood

Weber Kettle- Classic! Grilling and smoking. Best for anything for grilling. Lots more grill space for wings and multiple items.

Out of these 3 above I have about anything covered I would grill/smoke at home with guests. (Im not even counting my old weber gas grill out back that hasn't been used in years!)

I have a Cabela's MES40, a propane SV24, and a broil king propane grill. I use the MES40 for longer smokes and overnight smokes like butts and briskets. The SV24 I can get the temps up to 400+ if I wanted to so I like to use it for poultry and I also do ribs in it. Both easy to use and produce great Q. The broil king obviously is for grilling haha. Off the subject but hoping to add a 36" blackstone to the arsenal in the very near future!

22.5" Weber Kettle: I have used it low n slow, hot n fast, grilling, baking, frying, you name it. Nowadays it is for hot n fast 95% of the time, plus grilling, baking, pizza, frying, anything in a paella pan. I hate heating the house then it is 102F outside and climbing, like right now. My 18.5" Kettle is gathering dust. Used it for a long time but outgrew it. Will turn it into a smoker some day.

22.5" WSM: big hunks of meat, multiple hunks of meat, jerky batches, low n slow, hot n fast, and overnighters. I've done pizza and baking on it, but prefer the Kettle.

Kenmore gasser. It is rusting out, except for the side burner, which gets used 2-3 times a week for starting charcoal or roasting green coffee beans. When it is no longer usable, it will go to the dump. I'll buy a single propane burner for starting charcoal and roasting coffee.

I use my Weber Kettle 22 for grilling and searing

I use my WSM and AMNPS together for cold smoking (jerky mostly)

I have a Weber Smokey Joe 14 i originally got for grilling at the beach but i haven't gotten a chance to use it.

The last month i have used my WSM a couple times for regular smoking after i sold my Lang 36

this weekend i should get my new Lang 48 patio on a cart and it will be my main smoker for everything.

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

Another Weber 22 here, it can grill or smoke. I rescued it from a trash heap for $10 because I grew up with one of those. I've been playing around making short and long leg sets for it. (3/4" steel conduit with some foil tape to make it fit snug enough that the legs don't drop out when I lift it) First, a stubby version intended to be the right height for people sitting in chairs, like a patio fire table

dastubbyweber.jpg

Then I thought, the conduit comes in 10-foot sections, that's 120 inches, and that's divisible by 3 ... thus, the StratoKettle

stratokettle.jpg

A Masterbuilt offset that can grill or smoke. It's a model that was made for Sears ("Model 20042111 Classic Barrel Grill with Firebox") and as far as I know, no one else on this board is running one. I named it the Good Neighbor.

good_neighbor.jpg

It's six years old so far, and holding up fine. I've stripped out the warming rack to fit taller items like a butt or turkey. It used to be out in the weather all the time but these days it's under a roof.

Reactions: cooker613
Weber Smokey Joe premium 14"
Weber "Q"
MasterBuilt 30 propane vertical smoker
Nexgrill cart style charcoal grill.
A small cheap charcoal grill that's on its way out.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky