ONLY BLEW THE BREAKER ONCE!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokin pop-pop

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Dec 30, 2014
Allentown Pa.
Evening all,
Well everything finally came in the mail. used tallbm's post to rewire my MES30, of course all the wires were completely different colors. I had white solid, red braided, blue braided and black solid. after looking at the pics he posted I cut and spliced everything together. put it back on the floor and plugged it in and yep the basement went BLACK!! So I did what any redneck from pennsyltucky would do, I went to the garage and grabbed another beer ( flipped the breaker back on ) and moved some wires around in the smoker, second time was a success!! plugged it in and it got hot. A big thanks to tallbm for sharing his expertise and knowledge for all of us to have when it is needed!!

I’m a mechanic mostly diesel but have been building engines and tearing them down since I was about 11 ( so about 23 years) my brother is an electrician and I don’t mess with electricity. All I read was you wired something and your basement went dark. Haha glad it all worked it for you though!

Reactions: JLeonard
tallbm tallbm is a great resource. Tends to run under the radar most of the time.
Manufacturers are a PIA as they will change up things to try and create to parts sales or just toss and replace.
Thank you globalists

Here's how to fix those pesky breakers that keep tripping....

breaker.jpg

Evening all,
Well everything finally came in the mail. used tallbm's post to rewire my MES30, of course all the wires were completely different colors. I had white solid, red braided, blue braided and black solid. after looking at the pics he posted I cut and spliced everything together. put it back on the floor and plugged it in and yep the basement went BLACK!! So I did what any redneck from pennsyltucky would do, I went to the garage and grabbed another beer ( flipped the breaker back on ) and moved some wires around in the smoker, second time was a success!! plugged it in and it got hot. A big thanks to tallbm for sharing his expertise and knowledge for all of us to have when it is needed!!
Hey there, I'm glad my post could help!!!
Sounds like you are in business and just wait. Once you get your new setup figured out you will be making amazing BBQ with a smoker that outperforms the crap out of any MES that Masterbuilt makes new or old!

Enjoy! :D

Here's how to fix those pesky breakers that keep tripping....
That doesn’t look quite up to spec.
What's truly sad and scary is that someone actually thinks that this is OK.
Technically acceptable. An inspector may or may not allow it.
Dang it, I missed that change notice to the National Electric Code. If you look above the breaker, looks like someone who saw this was already asking for Devine intervention & protection.
Circuit breaker handles must be "trip free" by NEC and NEMA. Meaning, a breaker MUST trip even if the handle is locked in the ON position.
Handle lock devices are commonly used in commercial/industrial for 2 situations.
1. A site electrician doesn't accidentally turn off a critical circuit.
2. A site electrician doesn't try to turn ON a circuit when others are working on the equipment.

Here is a handle lock ON for my water heater breaker. (Stupid me turned it off once by accident.)
Ignore that the cover is not on the load center. I'm adding some circuits this weekend.
handle.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky