One Time Use Smokers

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

crewdawg52

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 7, 2007
Brighton, MI
Here's the scoop, hope you don't get bored. Every year I get together with my high school buddies ( 7 others all '79 grads) for one weekend, away from wifes, kids, etc. My time to cook the Sat night dinner again. Instead of the standard grilled stuff, I would love to smoke a couple of yard birds ( my best smoked meat). I travel from Michigan to Texas for the get together so I cant bring a smoker. Does anyone have ideas/plans for one time use "smoke & throw" cookers. I do get down there a couple of days before hand to visit mommy and daddy, so I do have time to get materials and put it together.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Ya'll.

Tried that 2 yrs ago. NO WAY they said. Did'nt want it "taking up room" in the garage.

We rent a log home for the weekend in Kingsland, TX (Nuthin out there). Rules say you got to cook, no help from prepackaged stuff, etc. So.....any ideas for "smoke and throw"?

How many guys you cookin' for amd how many meals? I might have a few ideas. You indicated a total of eight, including yourself. Is this just a one time thing?

Cheers!

Hey crewdawg52, go to Outback Party Rental in Marble Falls (9 miles from Kingsland) ask for Judy, she can rent ya one. Phone # (830) 798-9761

Follow this link to Jeff's Smoking-Meat Store. There is a Brinkmann Sportsman Double Charcoal Smoker and Grill (List Price: $163.29) Selling for $62.68 & free shipping! Have it shipped to where ever you are going and who cares after that - give it away! Leave it there for the next person! Whatever!

Seems like a great deal, I'm almost tempted to buy one for myself. One thing: says it ships in 1 to 2 months!

Know where Marble Falls is. Spittin Distance......From Colorado River and where we stay. But, Just thinkin someone has an idea for a one time use smoker.

Just 2 chickens? If you can wait until tomorrow, I'll take a picture of one I made a few years ago. You make it out of 5 gallon steel buckets with lids. It requires a few auto store parts, but when you are finished with it, you take the parts off and discard the buckets. The parts you keep will not take up too much room.

Parts list
2-5 gallon buckets with lids
4-header collectors
4-flanges
4-collector gaskets
sheet metal scraps
4-small hinges
pop rivets
2-1/4 X 4 inch bolts and nuts
12-3/8 bolts, lock washers and nuts
2 small springs
18 inches of 3 inch flex pipe
2 muffler clamps
Expanded metal

Tools
Drill
Jig saw
4 inch hole saw

I'll post a pic of mine with arrows and whatnot of where stuff goes. It's not very complicated and takes maybe 2 hours to put together. Works great for small amounts of meat.

Anyone used a Son of Hibachi? Portable deal, says it can smoke. Looks interesting for tiny smokes, maybe a last minute weekend trip for two.

Very interested in this. Just 8 of us total so I figured 2, maybe 3 chickens max. Like I stated, one time use and toss, leave it there, or give it to one of my buds.

I don't if Kingsland has a Lowe's or not, but I'm sure they have a true value or ace hardware store. Stop in one a pick up an ECB. It comes packed in a relatively small box, and you can put it together with a screwdriver.

Use it while your there and either give it to one of your buddies to take home or just toss it. $50.00 is probably less than you would pay to gather up all the parts to build something on your own and this is a proven product that I guarantee will smoke some good yardbird
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

edit - forgot to post the link
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...0-E&lpage=none

I don't know if it a seasonal thing but around here they sell these little grills with fold up legs for a few dollars you could probably make a tent with tin foil to hold the smoke in. Might be jus big enough for two chickens.

Canjun and DeeJay,

Both excellent ideas. Did'nt know a ECB was that inexpensive. May just have to get me one of those "darn thangs". But, the tent idea is pretty good also. Gotsta think on it.

To all....Thanks for the ideas.

CrewDawg52

You might consider a trash can turkey. There are a multitude of variations on the web but here is a link that will give you the general idea.
http://www.recipezaar.com/69818
We've done this a few times over the years with my wife's 2 girl scout troops and each time was good. I've always put some hickory chips under the can for smokiness. A 12 lb. bird will take no longer than 90 minutes. I've heard this called a 12-20-90 turkey before, reffering to a 12 lb. bird, 20 gal can, 20lbs. charcoal, and 90 minutes to bake.

Read the receipe. Very interesting. But, I bet one could make a variation of the ECB with the trash can by removing the bottom, and adding some rods for a water pan and racks.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky