One more "Mail Box Mod" for the AMNPS and the MES30 ...NEW PICTURES FOR ATTACHING ELBOW TO MAILBOX

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I went to my local menards and bought a mailbox this weekend. It just said "steel", so I dont know if its galvanized or not. Shoulder matter tho, right? I had a friend cut me a hole for it in the back and I hooked it up. It seemed to work pretty good! A couple of questions tho, I could see some smoke seeping out of the seems of the adjustable elbows, do I need to tape them? or is a little smoke seepage ok?

I was trying to remember how many holes I needed in the front of the mailbox, I ended up putting 2 on the top an one on the bottom. Im looking at this thread again and realize I should have had 1 on top and 2 on the bottom. Will this be ok?

Id like to find a stand or rack to put the smoker up on, right now its just standing on a couple of bricks.

Here is a pic of my quick setup:

Sounds like you have an exhaust flow restriction...   Some folks have totally removed the exhaust adjuster and installed a 90 deg. adjustable elbow..   The elbow increased the stack height and chimney effect improves exhaust flow... 

That should solve the smoke leakage, but it's not really a problem....  I'm more concerned with inadequate air flow....   good air flow is needed for clean smoke....   If you can elevate the flex so it's on a "uphill" plane for it's entire length might help....

If you have problems with the AMNPS not completely burning, I recently learned elevating it on legs will allow for better air flow through the bottom holes....  I had some 3" carriage bolts left over from a project and installed 3 of them for a triangular base....  I'm sure 1  1/2" bolts would be adequate...

I don't open the smoker much but when I do I open the mailbox before the smoker door. This way when the draft stops and takes minutes to get back once the smoker door is closed the smoke won't put out the Amnps like it may if was kept closed from the lack of draft/oxygen. I close the mailbox door a few minutes after the smoker door.
-Kurt

So what is the verdict on type of mailbox to get? I read a lot about galvanized being toxic, but only over 400 degrees...and I can't find anything but painted galvanized mailboxes at Menards, HD, Lowes, Ace, etc.

So what is the verdict on type of mailbox to get? I read a lot about galvanized being toxic, but only over 400 degrees...and I can't find anything but painted galvanized mailboxes at Menards, HD, Lowes, Ace, etc.
That will be fine....  If it catches on fire, you should pitch what's in the smoker...  I've had mine for 4 years and nothing has happened but clean smoke on the food...    Some folks have modified the install somewhat, in fact I have modified the AMNPS for the better...   Burns much better with the improved air flow... 

The holes in the upper and lower portions of the door are important to insure there is no recirculating air in the MB.....   Recirculated smoky air has reduced oxygen which will inhibit the AMNPS from burning properly...  Those are 3 each 3/4" holes...

If you have colder weather, the smoker and tubing might create a cold air dam which will stop air flow....  Some heat in the smoker will start the air flow and can be halted at least until the air flow stops again....   I've had that happen when cold slabs of bacon were introduced to the smoker....  had to turn the heat on for a bit to warm the slabs...

Last edited:
Thanks Dave. Picked up the supplies today. I have the MES 40" 2.5 from Sam's so hopefully it's a pretty easy to setup.

I think I want to leave the MES intact as is, will that work?

Thanks Dave. Picked up the supplies today. I have the MES 40" 2.5 from Sam's so hopefully it's a pretty easy to setup.

I think I want to leave the MES intact as is, will that work?
That smoker won't need the mailbox mod. The AMPS fits right on the bottom and burns perfectly.

You'll enjoy the MB mod.....   The smoker will keep about 20+ degrees cooler for cold smoking cheese, salmon. bacon.... anything you will want to cold smoke...   Also, the pellets will burn more uniformly if you choose to add smoke at higher temps....  The won't flare up from grease dripping on them....    Also the MB and the tubing condense any creosote that may be emitted during the smoke...  making for a very clean tasting smoke on the meat....    All around a very good addition to the MES.......

I found pulling the chip chute makes for more room to add the elbow into the hole....  I left the chip pan in for thermal mass and heat deflection from the element....  You can add chips directly to the chip pan if you want...   I sometimes throw in a few mesquite chips for that South West flavor to some meat products...  That's in addition to the pellets in the MB mod......

Any other questions, I'm here somewhere......

Dave

My main reason for adding the mailbox is salmon.....I have about 200 lbs in the freezer and have processed that much this season already. :)

I prefer hot smoking it to cold, but even that is tough with the MES as I like to gradually increase the temp from 120-170°. So it's hard to get chips ignited in the tray at those low temps. And I'd like to try cold smoking too, so mailbox it is. :)

And FWIW, I have a tube AMPS.

Last edited:
Good info....   The tube puts out more heat than the maze...   the MB mod is definitely in your best interest....  Good luck and don't forget pictures please....    I love pics of smoked salmon....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky