Olive Wagyu

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

negolien

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jan 1, 2020
Sacramento, Calif.
Hey All,

Thawing almost 8 pounds of Wagyu looking forward to seeing how she cooks. I got kosmos Injection and will probably do cow cover and some texas beef. Thoughts on a mop?
wagyu.jpg
471338-b251cfda9b6ecaf7aa7cdd2e5af21dc5.jpg
finisishedsliced2.jpg
wagdonestacked.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: kruizer
i would think twice about injecting or mopping olive Wagyu with anything. If stick to salt, pepper, and smoke. The fat in that piece of meat is way tastier than what you’re gonna cover it up with - and moisture will not be an issue I can assure you. Just my .02

i would think twice about injecting or mopping olive Wagyu with anything. If stick to salt, pepper, and smoke. The fat in that piece of meat is way tastier than what you’re gonna cover it up with - and moisture will not be an issue I can assure you. Just my .02
I agree with BB. I love that kosmo reserve blend injection but wouldn't use it on something like that. Will completely take away from the wagyu flavor. That's a VERY strong flavor injection
Absolutely agree with these two. With all that marbling and fat cap, no way I'd want to interfere with that flavor.....

It was supposed to be a full brisket I argued with them for days. Got a decnt deal after all the complaining. I guess I will go with beef consume and apple juice spritz. Still gonna do a light coat of texas beef and cow cover since I' am not an olive fan. What about smoking ok to throw some cherry and apple on it? Will take pics when i trim it think side without sticker is bottom.

PS
I will be wrapping in pink butcher so any advice regarding fluids or anyhting to put in wrap would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Yep nothing wrong with a good rub on the outside. Wood choice is fine. I prefer a stronger wood like hickory or pecan paired with cherry for beef. No liquid needed when using butcher paper. The liquid from the meat will soak through the paper and create a moist environment naturally

Reactions: negolien
So no butter brown sugar or anything just paper?
Just rub and smoke. The beef has so much marbling I wouldn't use butter and for me personally brown sugar is not something I usually add to beef. When wrapped in butcher paper the paper is gonna be soaked within an hour leaving everything properly moist

• Love
Thanks appreciate the advice. I just trimmed her up a minute ago. I had to make sure not to trim too much man but there was soooo much fat. Added SPG and Cow Cover instead of Texas Beef and Cow Cover. She's gonna sit in the fridge about 12-15 hours now in a tin foil pan covered with tin foil since I can't use plastic wrap for shit lol.
Wagyu low.jpg
wagyu full.jpg

Reactions: TNJAKE
hope you kept that fat! If not dig it out of the damn trash and wash it off. That’s worth more than the GDP of some small countries!

• Haha
yeah I' am not a huge beef fan to be honest. I just wanted to try a good piece of meat this is from texas btw. Was pissed it wasn't a full brisket lol I wanted to try my first. guess this will be a good teaching flat though. Here's the company (9) Facebook

yeah I' am not a huge beef fan to be honest. I just wanted to try a good piece of meat this is from texas btw. Was pissed it wasn't a full brisket lol I wanted to try my first. guess this will be a good teaching flat though. Here's the company (9) Facebook
Well if you’re not a beef fan after tasting that then you’re never gonna be. Never tried Olive but have had a fair amount of A5, have a 15lb A5 in the freezer I’m gonna do when the weather warms up. You’ll never have tasted anything like it I’ll tel you that. I’d recommend eating in small portions - it’s incredibly rich and you don’t be feeling so great if you eat it like you’d eat regular brisket. Enjoy it man!

I had an appointment so had to put everything away pretty fast.

It came out pretty good maybe cook 20 mins less if I did it again. I think other than that I would do nothing different. It took about 7.5 hours. No wood for smoking was used other than RO Lump. Still a nice ring.. Not sure of total weight after trimming a lot of hard fat came off. Here's photos of cold meat before I put 2/3rds of it in inkbird sealer in 2 separate baggies about 11 hours later.
fnishedsliced1.jpg
finisishedsliced2.jpg
o

Reactions: BB-que
Looks really good. Crazy how much marbling remaining after the cook but at the same time you can tell it's meat butter. I'm sure it was rich. See any interesting benefits of the olive diet?

Man that is one nice looking piece of meat.
If it were me I would just use S&P.
The flavor of the meat is why you spent so much on it, so why add a bunch of stuff to it to mask the real flavor. But that’s just me.
Al
This X100!!!
A great piece of meat stands all by its self, I'd wash that rub off of it and salt and pepper it only. You don't need to spritz waygu besides masking the natural beef flavor waygu doesn't need any added moisture.
S&P then lick it lightly with just a touch of smoke and enjoy the natural flavor of great beef.
By seasoning it you are going to destroy the amazing beefy flavor imparted by the olive diet.
The olive diet also makes the meat super soft, so it melts in your mouth. The fat is the healthiest beef fat you will ever eat. I had the pleasure of sharing a 1 1/2'' thick Olive fed porter house with my dad at his duck club a few months ago, it was amazing stuff. I seared it on an almost white hot cast iron pan with salt pepper and clarified butter then tossed it in a 400* oven for a few minutes it was crazy good.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky