Old Knives "New Handles"

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Hawging It

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jan 1, 2019
Southeast Mississippi
Greetings All! A few weeks ago while slicing and dicing with my great grandfathers hawg killing knife I thought about knife handles. The knife is well over 100 years old and has the original Hickory handle . I'll be 64 next week and mamaw gave it to me when I was about 30. She lived to be in her mid 90's and told me my great grandfather had the knife when she was in her teens. Do the math. I use the knife in my kitchen all the time and it is so sharp you could do heart surgery with it. I wanted to put an upgraded handle in it as well as my Cutco deer skinner. Went on the internet to find a local knife maker. Low and behold I found a world class knife maker just 20 miles away from me. I sent him photos and he said he could hook me up. Not trying to advertise for the guy but he is one of the best. He also has a remarkable story about his life. A good read. Check out is stuff and read about his medical struggles. https://jcprovost.com/. He put a Micarta handle in great grandpaws knife and a walnut handle in the Cutco. The Cutco had a hard rubber type handle in it. Best deer skinner I ever had. Very happy with what he did. So much so, I gave him my other Cutco that I have had for 20 years and never used. He is going "fancy" with this one. Don't have it back yet. Here are a couple of picks.
IMG_5127.jpg

IMG_5291.jpg

That ain't rust. Just use.
IMG_5290.jpg

IMG_5288.jpg

very nice! Glad it turned out so well for you! Especially knowing how much that knife means to you

Ryan

Reactions: Hawging It
Was there a problem with the old handle? The one side picture looks like the handle matched the vintage blade. Knife looks likes it has seen a lot of work over the years, very nice to keep it in the family.

I think Cutco unfairly gets a really bad rap. Most of my kitchen knives are Cutco, and they have lasted many years. Balanced and heavy.
Your skinner is gorgeous. I have the the Double-D edge orange handle hunting knife... the thing is amazing.
That's what this one was. Also have a twin with black handle. Best skinner I have ever used.

Was there a problem with the old handle? The one side picture looks like the handle matched the vintage blade. Knife looks likes it has seen a lot of work over the years, very nice to keep it in the family.
Nothing wrong with the old handle. Still solid. Just wanted to upgrade it. Ole papa would have been proud.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky