Old fridge build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gusdorman

Original poster
Jul 21, 2008
Kuna, Idaho
83299c98_29669b5d_DSC03636.jpg

Cleaning it up with a little help from Captain America & a dead blow hammer.

767787a8_197765.jpg
am

Everything off of the back.

f30a346a_197764.jpg

All clean metal inside with white porcelain.

5651a160_6b88f31c_DSC03638.jpg

Someone before me painted the outside with latex, it looks *nice*, I hope it wont mess me up.

b10347e7_197780.jpg

Placing things where I think they might go.....

The PID has a plug-in for a heat generator and a smoke generator, so to have separate controls I am using 2 hot plates.

PID - Auber Instruments WSD-1202CPH , with the wall mount (http://tinyurl.com/2ulnve4 ).

So I have a few questions...

Do I have to plug all of the screw holes?

If so is fire-stop caulk OK?

I thought about putting the heat thermocouple in the old light bulb hole right in the center of the back wall.

Am I right about using 2 heat plates? One for smoke and one for heat to take full advantage of my PID.

Do I need to build some sort of shield for the heat plates to keep the from getting dripped on?

How big of a hole do I need on the top to let the smoke out? and air inlets on the bottom to let the air in?

The insulation in the fridge looks like some kind of natural material. Do I need to remove the metal out of the fridge and clean out the insulation entirely?

Would I be better off building a box outside of the fridge to put the smoke generator in?

Soooo many questions... help! :-)

The hot plates are 1000W, is this enough?

also I meant "Do I need to remove the metal interior out of the fridge and clean out the insulation"

I found the post about high temp silicone, http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/forum/thread/91668/high-temp-silicone, so I'll be looking for Rutland 500º RTV High Heat silicone sealant around here. Do I need to make sure all of the holes are plugged?

Last edited:
 Not sure about electric end of your build,  I would plug any holes just to keep moisture out of your insulation. Unless your cold smokin I'd ditch the plastic door cover and any plastic interior trim. Check those racks if your using them, they might be galv (food contact+heat??). Stack & vents, I went 4" duct top & bottom fully adjustable.

icon_cool.gif

Now that smoker looks awesome and now I want to see it full of some mighty good food.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky