Old Country BBQ Pits Wrangler Smoker Review

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Tuning plates are flat plates made of steel arranged across the bottom of your cooking chamber to help you better manage the temperature across the range of your cooking chamber. You may or may not need them depending on how many pieces of meat you cook at the same time. If you will use the search feature in this forum, just search on tuning plates and there is a lot of information and pictures available of them. I think you will really enjoy your new smoker.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/content/type/61/id/239168/flags/LL

I use 5 plates.  My first two are tight together and against the firebox inlet.

The 3rd is about 1/4" the 4th 1/2" and the 5th i have set at over an 1" close to 1-1/2".

Can you point me in the direction of what you used to seal it up, and if it was successful? I used the felt-type thats on BGE but the weight of the doors eventually ruined it. I need to find a better way to seal it up and something that can take the heat of the fire box - this is where I get the most leakage (if not all) so im not that  worried about it
I cleaned the surface for the felt with a degreaser, let it dry.  I then applied the peel and stick felt, let it sit and day then sealed it on the sides with food grade RTV sealant.  I wrapped the edges of my door with some plastic and closed the doors after applying the sealant.  This way it only stuck to the felt and metal on the fire box and smoke chamber.  I expect that after a year or two I will need to reseal both again.

Academy's website states that this smoker (wrangler) is built from 11 ga (1/8") steel with 3/16" doors.  Really?  I thought everyone has said this smoker is 3/16" steel throughout.  

Kevin

Mick,

I've got an older Ok Joe and have found a site called Horizon Smokers, they sell convection plates which
are 3/16 thick steel to keep heat even through out the chamber, works well.
By the way I'm also retired AF, only good thing Clinton did was let me retire.
Have a good one.

Mick,

I've got an older Ok Joe and have found a site called Horizon Smokers, they sell convection plates which
are 3/16 thick steel to keep heat even through out the chamber, works well.
By the way I'm also retired AF, only good thing Clinton did was let me retire.
Have a good one.
Which size did you get?

For some reason these Old Country smokers have caught my eye. For the last 2 years I have been using a 18.5" WSM and 15 years with a Big Block GOSM smoker.

• On my WSM I use a Guru DigiQ controller and I was wondering if anyone has tried a controller on the Old Country?
  • What are the range of temperatures that the cook box can cooked at?
  • Does this cooker work equally as well with lump as stick?

Thanks

What are tuning plates? How do they work? where are they placed? give me the scoop on them. Where did you cut them from?

update - 

ive been cooking on this for about 2 years now (i think?) maybe a year and a half. 

at first, i thought it was better to control temps with small splits and a small fire. i used to take 9" splits and split them into 1/3's or 1/4's. since then, Ive come to find out the best way to get this pit ready is a full chimney of lump charcoal, and a full 18" split thrown in. they  are tough to fit sometimes, you may have to go caddy corner. once you get it going for an hour or 2, you can throw one on let it get going, then go take a nap for 2 hours. 

as far as tuning plates - i originally had 3, then made up 2 more for a total of 5, then went back to 3. i used to be a temp nazi trying to get it perfect all the way across the grate, etc but now i just get it close and adjust my cooking. (it actually works out better this way, i can keep cooler temps closer to the fire box and hotter temps (25 degrees max) the built in deflector really pushes the temps to the stack. 

i do need to seal it again, the nomex i did a couple years ago is wearing out and i get some leakage but not bad. 

i still feel this was one of the best birthday gifts my wife has ever gave me besides boom chicka wah wah

feel free to ask me any questions

What are tuning plates? How do they work? where are they placed? give me the scoop on them. Where did you cut them from?
i live in the nascar capital of the world, so i called up a steel supply house that fabs stock car parts. 

http://www.racecitysteel.com

just find a place like this, i built a huge hot fire and seasoned them at a high high temp to burn off any nasties and cutting oils before i cooked on them

its just cold rolled steel plate. most steel places if you tell them what you are using it for (smoker) they will know what is best to use. there are mulitple posts in this thread as far as size. they go under the cooking grate to direct temperatures where you want them and have the added benefit of keeping the cooking chamber warm if your fire goes out or drops

Last edited:
For some reason these Old Country smokers have caught my eye. For the last 2 years I have been using a 18.5" WSM and 15 years with a Big Block GOSM smoker.

• On my WSM I use a Guru DigiQ controller and I was wondering if anyone has tried a controller on the Old Country?
  • What are the range of temperatures that the cook box can cooked at?
  • Does this cooker work equally as well with lump as stick?
Thanks
its tough keeping lower temps (200 and below) 250-275 seems to be the sweet spot on mine, but with some practice you can keep 225s.

not sure about that controller (i dont even know what that is tbh - ill have a google session in a sec) 

i use both lump and wood, and you have the added benefit of cooking on the fire box - its like cooking on a campfire - burgerking aint got nothin on this flame broiled

edit - bbq guru looks like a gimmick to me, you dont need anything like that to keep temps in a smoker, esp. for 250 bucks. thats alot of food or fuel you can buy for that price. with a little practice you can keep temps with charcoal and splits

Last edited:
its tough keeping lower temps (200 and below) 250-275 seems to be the sweet spot on mine, but with some practice you can keep 225s.

not sure about that controller (i dont even know what that is tbh - ill have a google session in a sec) 

i use both lump and wood, and you have the added benefit of cooking on the fire box - its like cooking on a campfire - burgerking aint got nothin on this flame broiled

edit - bbq guru looks like a gimmick to me, you dont need anything like that to keep temps in a smoker, esp. for 250 bucks. thats alot of food or fuel you can buy for that price. with a little practice you can keep temps with charcoal and splits

Tbs is thin blue smoke I believe ;)

Last edited:
Been a while since I've been on here...been busy downsizing and moving.  Still have a bunch of posts to read back through.  After moving, I've had no room to smoke much on the Wrangler, but got a new covered patio built and am now back in business.  So, I decided to try a pork butt...why, I don't know, as it's something I hardly ever smoke.  What can I say, I'm just mainly a brisket and spare ribs guy.  And, when it comes to pork, I'd much rather smoke ribs than a butt...and can do ribs in half the time.  Anyway, had a 7 1/2 lb butt...figured it would take me around 12 hours at 235*.  Got it rubbed up and put in the fridge Sunday night, to smoke on Labor Day.

So, I'm up at 4:00am on Labor Day, firing up the Wrangler.

She's right at 235* with TBS in about 45 minutes, after one charcoal chimney toward the door side of my firebox, and one split toward the grate side.  So, I throw on the butt.

It was a beautiful morning, nice and cool (for a while) and I had no problems all day keeping the Wrangler at 235* by adding another split about once an hour.

After about 6 hours in, I've got an internal temp of 172*...looking good & maintaining 235*.

I always use a piece of wood for my grate temp probe on my Maverick, as you can see below.  That little clip that comes with them seems to make them show hotter than they really are.

After 8 1/2 hours, I'm at 181* internal, still maintaining 235* grate temp.

Finally, after 12 hours on the smoker at 235*, we hit 195* internal temp and pulled her off. 

Let it rest for about 30 minutes, and the bone pulled right out.  Very tender, easy to pull with a couple of forks.  But, I think I'll just stick to brisket, ribs, ham, and turkey.  These dang butts are just too much work.  Work, as in sitting on the patio and 'talking' to Jim Beam all day, while listening to an iPod playing some pretty good Texas Red Dirt country music.  
36.gif
  Hmmm...maybe it wasn't so bad after all. 

That's some great looking pork  Beautiful color   Nice !!!
points1.png

Gary

Reactions: mickhlr
Yeah I didn't pay attention LOL

Got mine today, only two left at the store, seasoning up now :)
looks good, i need to fab up a basket some day, thats on the to do list

Been a while since I've been on here...been busy downsizing and moving.  Still have a bunch of posts to read back through.  After moving, I've had no room to smoke much on the Wrangler, but got a new covered patio built and am now back in business.  So, I decided to try a pork butt...why, I don't know, as it's something I hardly ever smoke.  What can I say, I'm just mainly a brisket and spare ribs guy.  And, when it comes to pork, I'd much rather smoke ribs than a butt...and can do ribs in half the time.  Anyway, had a 7 1/2 lb butt...figured it would take me around 12 hours at 235*.  Got it rubbed up and put in the fridge Sunday night, to smoke on Labor Day.

Let it rest for about 30 minutes, and the bone pulled right out.  Very tender, easy to pull with a couple of forks.  But, I think I'll just stick to brisket, ribs, ham, and turkey.  These dang butts are just too much work.  Work, as in sitting on the patio and 'talking' to Jim Beam all day, while listening to an iPod playing some pretty good Texas Red Dirt country music.  
36.gif
  Hmmm...maybe it wasn't so bad after all. 
thats some nice lookin rub - care to share? and i hear ya about the "work" of a pork butt, getting out of the pool to add a split is tough and i have to split my time between a fine cigar, single barrel jack

thats some nice lookin rub - care to share? and i hear ya about the "work" of a pork butt, getting out of the pool to add a split is tough and i have to split my time between a fine cigar, single barrel jack
Hey jcrevz, no I don't mind sharing...I'm always playing around with different rubs.  And, with pork, I like it sweet, with a little kick on the end.  So, this is the rub I used for this butt:

• ½ Cup Brown Sugar

• 6 Tbsp Chili Powder

• 4 Tbsp Paprika

• 3 Tbsp Cayenne Pepper               

• 2 Tbsp Cumin

• 2 Tbsp Coriander

• 2 Tbsp Allspice

• 3 Tbsp Garlic

• 2 Tbsp Onion Powder

• 3 Tbsp Kosher Salt

• 3 Tbsp Course Pepper
I probably put closer to 3/4 cup of brown sugar in this batch though.  All amounts are an estimate, or to taste.  Like I said, I just like playing around with different rubs...and with this amount of cayenne, I get that kick on the end that I like through the sweet of the brown sugar.  And, I've made this before without the Allspice...but I really like the taste with the addition of Allspice. 

Also, I hear you on the cigar and Single Barrel Jack.  I had to quit smoking, after 40 years, and sure as heck miss a fine cigar.  And, below are my favorite helpers, left to right.  And, when I know the smoke is going to be a long one, Jim Beam or Capt Morgan are normally my best "helpers" at 80 proof.  The 90 proof Makers and 94 proof Single Barrel Jack are more for sipping after-the-fact.

Reactions: redline smokin
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky