Old Country BBQ Pits Wrangler Owners Thread

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Well, I moved from the kitchen oven to a roaster oven, or otherwise known as a turkey oven. It also had similar temp swings, as long as it was empty. But when I put a half pan of water in the oven, it acted as a heat sink and evened out the swings, somewhat. I suspect a brisket would do the same as a half pan of water .

Roaster Oven Test.jpg

Roaster Oven Heat Sink Test.jpg

Reactions: ConrodM
Well, I moved from the kitchen oven to a roaster oven, or otherwise known as a turkey oven. It also had similar temp swings, as long as it was empty. But when I put a half pan of water in the oven, it acted as a heat sink and evened out the swings, somewhat. I suspect a brisket would do the same as a half pan of water .

View attachment 507963

View attachment 507964
Awesome Plan!

View attachment 507963

View attachment 507964
Have you tried an extended rest on a brisket? If so, how did it turn out? Is it hype or best results?
Thanks

Have you tried an extended rest on a brisket? If so, how did it turn out? Is it hype or best results?
Thanks

No, I've not done that. I think the " buzz " about extended rest comes from what barbecue joints in Texas are doing. Joints rest that long, because they have to. But some say its the secret to " amazing " barbecue.

Could be hype, could not be hype. I have no idea. But I have no plans to try it. My only interest is if I smoked a brisket for a family gathering and had to start the day before.

Hi Everyone,

I purchased my wrangler in December and after a few rain/ snow storms I'm seeing rust bottom storage shelf, legs, and on the outside of the firebox. I bought a cover before the smoker arrived but I guess water is still getting to these parts. I thought the paint would protect it but I guess not. Has anyone had the same experience and what was your solution?

Thanks!

Hi Everyone,

I purchased my wrangler in December and after a few rain/ snow storms I'm seeing rust bottom storage shelf, legs, and on the outside of the firebox. I bought a cover before the smoker arrived but I guess water is still getting to these parts. I thought the paint would protect it but I guess not. Has anyone had the same experience and what was your solution?

Thanks!
You have to look at the smoker as a cast iron skillet. Keep oil on it even where it doesn’t get hot- I use canola. After 1.5 years I have some spots where you are referring to but just wipe or spray cooking oil on. No biggie. Read this thread for our experiences on making this an AWESOME SMOKER!! 😁👍👍.

I was wondering have any of you replaced the grate in the wrangl;er fire box with a Solid plate like griddle plate. Seems like it would reduce the heat on the top of the firebox and might even be useful for cooking?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky