Old Country BBQ Pits Pecos Owners Thread

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I searched for a Pecos owner's thread but found only one, and that was mostly about temp issues and other grills. Since I had a few folks at Academy Sports tell me that the Pecos is their number one seller by far, I thought I'd start a thread on them to see what mods other owners have done and usage tips, etc.

I got mine about a month ago after about 10 years on an old, trusty Brinkmann Smoke'N'Pit Professional. That old thing had to be built in the USA because it was very stout. It would hold temp pretty well and I had her tuned to about 275 degrees every time (according to the lid mounted thermometer...more on that later) She developed a small hole in the firebox about 6 months ago and it just grew to the point of no return. Rather than weld over the hole, I started shopping for a new smoker. As most of you know, that can be a frustrating chore. My dilemma was that I wanted a better quality smoker, not made in China, not made from a propane tank (because my wife hated the way they look) and since I only smoke about once or twice a month...I wanted it to be affordable.

So after about 6 months of shopping, research and loitering around here (a superb resource, BTW), I got my Pecos.

I have smoked twice so far and here are some of my initial impressions:

-It's very easy to get it up to temp with charcoal followed by splits...the hard part has been keeping the temp stable. I switched my old stick lid thermometer over from my Brinkmann and just torched my first racks of St Louis ribs. They tasted great, but they were way overdone. After I ordered the Maverick and tested the temp I found out why. At 200 degrees the lid thermo was 100% accurate. At 275 degrees, it was off by 50 degrees. So, I was making bony, charcoal tasting pork jerky. The second effort worked out much better after I tossed the old lid thermo and went with the Maverick.

-I used the included firebox charcoal support shelf as a makeshift tuning plate and it seems to fit and work very well, but more testing is needed. I used an old grate from a weber hibachi as my new coal support. I decided to keep my upper grate just in case.

-This grill leaks a bit around the lid, but I get the feeling that after a few more smokes, that won't be much of a problem...we'll see.

-I don't ever clean my smoker because it just seems like it gets seasoned just right, despite recommendations from manufacturers like Lang. I would love to hear if everybody else cleans their smoker's grates while hot. I've heard arguments both ways on that.

-Finally, when I bought mine I was allowed to step into the store warehouse to pick from several grills on pallets and got one that looked especially tight. If you go to buy one I would suggest you ask if they have any in the back, because the one on the floor was scratched up and bent.[/

Ok it's superbowl Sunday 60 degrees. My pecos is going through hickory chunks pretty good. I see all theses posts to start out with lump charcoal and only use 6-8 ounces of wood. I go through a bag of wood chunks from Wally for one 4-6 hr smoke . Temps all over the place , WTH AM I DOIN WRONG .. Help

Will you guys let an OC Brazos owner in this thread?

I've enjoyed reading this thread (still working up from 2014). I think some of the info will translate to the Brazos well, but I think the 1/4" skin of the Brazos will make a real difference in heat control. I got this unit - my first stick burner - for Christmas and still have not christened it. I had to build a little patio for it and some wood. That took me most of January. It's finished now and I'll get some wood next week. I've already done one seasoning burn after wiping the inside surfaces down with vegetable oil, but no meat yet.

I'd like to swap info with other Brazos owners if you'll let me join in this thread..

Just brought a cantina xxl but doesn't have a smoker box need help with how big the firebox should be and what type of metal( does not have to be same as old country it can be thicker)

Does anyone use the temperature gauges they sell for these, are they worth a hoot or should I just save my money and get a digital?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I fired up the new Pecos today to season it, I have to say I am already enjoying tinkering with it and playing with fire.
I can't wait to try smoking some meat.
1bcf3dbc79909e80d5f1b5c1368d22c9.jpg

Does anyone use the temperature gauges they sell for these, are they worth a hoot or should I just save my money and get a digital?

They are garbage from my experience, not at all accurate. Save up and get a nice digital one, like the Maverick.

Glocksrock is largely spot on.  There are a few permanent mounted ones out there--Tel Tru being one--that are good and some can be calibrated, but largely they're not.  One of the biggest issues is that the manufacturers put the holes way up high in the lid instead of dropping them down to grate level.  His advice on Mavericks is good, and I've got 2 ThermoPros that are quite accurate, very reasonable, and lifetime warranties on the probes.  Good luck.

Glocksrock is largely spot on.  There are a few permanent mounted ones out there--Tel Tru being one--that are good and some can be calibrated, but largely they're not.  One of the biggest issues is that the manufacturers put the holes way up high in the lid instead of dropping them down to grate level.  His advice on Mavericks is good, and I've got 2 ThermoPros that are quite accurate, very reasonable, and lifetime warranties on the probes.  Good luck.

Thanks I think after pay day I'm gonna get a thermopro.

Anybody have warranty info for Old Country pits? I made some ribs yesterday and after about 2 hours I opened the lid on the firebox to add some lump. When I tried to close it it wouldn't budge at first then finally closed but the door or hinges are warped as there is about a 1/2" gap all the way around. Anyone have this issue? I'm a little disappointed to say the least. It's only 6 months old.

Anyone know where I can get a firebox door hinge in the Los Angeles/San Fernando Valley area for an Old Country Pecos??

Bought my Pecos from Academy but it arrived with a broken firebox door hinge.  Academy ended up giving back $170 back for my troubles since I was going to try to find the missing piece and have it welded on (long story).

I called Old Country BBQ today but they are out of the country until June 20th

Just wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction in finding the hinge or piece that is missing so I can have my buddy weld it back on?

Thanks in advance :)

Oh and the smoker works fine without the missing hinge 

Anyone know the thickness of the steel?

Anyone wish they would have gotten the Brazos instead?

I'm currently on the fence between Pecos and Brazos.  Hard to justify the $1,000 for a smoker but I wanted to get your inputs.

Thanks

​Specs on Academy website say 14 gauge, with 11 gauge doors.  From the "feel test", they're much thicker than the OK Joes at the box stores, but not a full 1/4" plate.  

​As far as justifying the more expensive one--only you can do that.  I'm pretty happy with mine so far (only about 2 months old).  I sealed the doors with stove gasket.  I used the plate they provide for coals as a baffle plate, flipped the fire box grate and use it for my coals.  Runs a pretty consistent temp left-right (about 3* variance).  I'm happy, and appreciate the extra money in my pocket, but I'm just a hobbyist, and don't cook for big crowds.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky