Old Country BBQ Pits Pecos Owners Thread

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Does anyone make a kit to seal the Pecos offset smoker? Or what have any of you used to seal yours? I read that some have just smoked on them and over time they have gotten better. I dont see how thats possible if the same gaps are there. I am getting alot of smoke leakage and I assume heat loss as well. Thank you for the knowledge you share!
check out my post #80

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/162603/old-country-bbq-pits-pecos-owners-thread/80#post_1271817

Update to my PECOS mods. After playing around with my setup for a few years here is what I have:

1. nomex tape around both cooking lid and firebox lid (this stuff works amazing, make sure you clean surface and follow up with alcohol wipe down where you will put tape and let dry before adding the nomex tape)

2. tuning plates, spaced out more and more the further they are from the firebox  (this helped keep temp more constistent from left to right, originally the temp was around 50 degrees off, now it's usually under 20 degress off)

3. removed all grates from fire box. - this is a deal breaker for me. i have now learned to keep the temp and coals hot in my large firebox, I build a large fire first and let it go for an hour and get A LOT OF COALS as a bed before I add my smoking wood. you can use lump coal if desired instead, but using wood works great too and letting it burn down. For me, the grates get in the way of managing the fire and moving the coals around. Without the grate in the firebox, now it's easier for me to manipulate the coals and wood closer or further from the cooking chamber to manage temps, before this was hard to do because the coals would fall down the grate or the grate was in my way. I got this idea after reading aaron franklins book where he had a picture of his wood stacked in the firebox without any grates, ever since my smokes are way more consistent and easier to manage

Good luck with your pecos!

Very nice slimc! This looks like what I want. I didnt notice but did you need a door clamp or anything to keep the good seal?
not at all, the weight of the door is plenty heavy enough. After you add the tape you will notice a huge difference in smoke loss (less smoke seeping out)

The pecos is definitely a lot of work and took me about 8 smokes to get it figured out, but that is also the fun of it. If I could go back in time i prob would have purchased the wrangler for the heavier gauge steel and the upper rack, which I would def use now that I smoke more often. I find the pecos is a large chamber, large firebox and requires a pretty good fire and very hot coals to keep consistent

I also put a small watering pan in with every smoke right over the FB inlet 

Ill be smoking a couple butts and some ribs this Saturday. I will try the firebox setup and see how that goes. I wont have time to get the gasket by then but then there will be more smokes soon after Saturday! Thanks again!

What size of charcoal box works good in the pecos? I am going to have one made and need some dimensions. Also how much charcoal do you usually start with? Fill it up? Thanks in advance!

I don't like the charcoal basket , I tried it 5 times and was just in my way the whole time. From now on I either load up about a quarter of a bag of lump, make a hole in the middle and dump hot coals from my chimney starter in , or I just stack up small sticks and twigs and get some logs burnt down and use the coal bed. I don't even use a grate anymore . I keep my door slightly open and vent wide open and move the coals closer or further away from the cooking chamber

I just picked up my Pecos today which is replacing a $99 Charbroil that was rusted completely through. I'm excited to get my Pecos rolling and look forward to getting it dialed in like my old smoker. I could lock it in at 275 for about 2-3 hrs at a time with minimal fuel adage. I'm contemplating what to use to season it. I used veg oil on my last one but due to the thickness of the precise in comparison I'm considering Crisco. I've read some others have used Pam. How long did you legit go, what temp, etc. Any insight or best practices to share are appreciated. It will be a week or two before I can get it done so plenty of time to study up.

I am glad to see a group of Pecos Cooks! I chopped off its legs and put mine on a trailer. It is small enough to pull w/ a golf cart. I also added banding around my doors to get a better seal. Back side of the trailer is an old truck box I found in the trash. So far I am in for about $700 + time. I cook on this rig about 4 times a week. I have completely ditched propane and I am not turning back.

View media item 430663

Man I like that setup! If you dont mind I might have to copy this in the future!
bravo.png

I just picked up my Pecos today which is replacing a $99 Charbroil that was rusted completely through. I'm excited to get my Pecos rolling and look forward to getting it dialed in like my old smoker. I could lock it in at 275 for about 2-3 hrs at a time with minimal fuel adage. I'm contemplating what to use to season it. I used veg oil on my last one but due to the thickness of the precise in comparison I'm considering Crisco. I've read some others have used Pam. How long did you legit go, what temp, etc. Any insight or best practices to share are appreciated. It will be a week or two before I can get it done so plenty of time to study up.

Animal fat is great. Make sure to get a HOT fire going to burn off any oil on it from manufacturing before doing anything for as long as it takes for the oil to burn off. Then get some lard and wipe the inside down while it's still warm from the fire. Don't wipe it down while the smoke is going you will give yourself lung cancer !!

Good luck

I have been looking at the Pecos every time I am at Academy. I am really leaning towards it I just don't know if it has enough capacity. What are you guys realistically able to fit on yours? 

you can fit alot on it. I do wish I bought the wrangler though, I find the PECOS is a beast to maintain consistent temps and I wish I had an upper rack. Also the wrangler has thicker steel so holds the temp better. The pecos is a great smoker for the money though, you can fit about 4 racks of ribs laying flat, or many more if you have rib racks. If you do get it and plan on smoking a ton of food, plan on buying racks or modifying by welding on a shelf above the one that comes with it.

Thanks @slimc. I have a UDS so if I am going to spend the money it has to be a step up in capacity and 4 racks side by side is a better than my current capacity of 2 (unless I use my bottom rack which is a pain to use). I was looking at the wrangler too and I might have to suck it up and spend the extra $100 for it. 

when i was searching a few years ago I couldn't find anything with the quality of the wrangler or pecos for an offset smoker for around $500. Keep in mind you will most likely need to make a few mods (see my pictures and posts earlier in this thread) to get it where it needs to be, so take that into account. I like that the pecos has the stack exhaust at grate level, is thicker metal and has a large firebox and big wheels. 

I still had to:

add steel plates to distribute heat evenly

add gasket seal to both lids

make my own charcoal basket (don't really use anymore, now I remove the grates too from fire box)

my wishes:

upper grate

thicker steel

taller smoke stack

An offset smoker is more work than any other type of smoker, but it really really makes it fun and worth it when you get it right. 

If you really need a ton of cooking area and don't want to have to make mods, then consider stepping it up a level (lang smokers, meadow creek, yoder). They offer trailer mounted smokers and you shouldn't have to do much, but thats a BIG UPGRADE IN PRICE

most of us can't afford them big boys or don't really need something that large.

slimc, you mentioned a taller smoke stack. Would that improve airflow and increase temperature capabilities? 

A longer/taller exhaust creates a better draw of air and yes, results in a better airflow. The result is more pull of heat and air , and helps improve the maintenance of your fire since more air is being pulled into the firebox

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky