old bbq house grill - what would you do with it?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tfinner

Original poster
Oct 29, 2022
I bought a house that had a small bbq shack built 60+ years ago with a wood burning brick grill and chimney stack. room behind is unfinished currently. it did not have any cover over the grates so i made some from hvac duct work. it is tough to justify for cooking due to effort to operate and control heat when a weber grill/gas grill is so easy to start. i do use it for cold smoking with tubes intended for smoking with pellets. i have thought about a pizza oven or wood burning oven but not sure how i would cover the grates. anyway, looking for ideas, thoughts, suggestions. what would you do with this?

Attachments

• WIN_20221029_14_06_44_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20221029_14_06_44_Pro.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 83
  • WIN_20221029_14_07_26_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20221029_14_07_26_Pro.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 82
  • WIN_20221029_14_07_15_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20221029_14_07_15_Pro.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 83
A hobby pot sand blaster would work well to clean that up, direct wood fire grilling would be my use for it

Reactions: Brokenhandle
That would put out some amazing food! While maybe not as handy or quick as what you mentioned in a gas grill ...hard to beat wood fired food!

Ryan

I bought a house that had a small bbq shack built 60+ years ago with a wood burning brick grill and chimney stack. room behind is unfinished currently. it did not have any cover over the grates so i made some from hvac duct work. it is tough to justify for cooking due to effort to operate and control heat when a weber grill/gas grill is so easy to start. i do use it for cold smoking with tubes intended for smoking with pellets. i have thought about a pizza oven or wood burning oven but not sure how i would cover the grates. anyway, looking for ideas, thoughts, suggestions. what would you do with this?
Hi there and welcome!

I don't have any direct experience but I would tend to agree with it being a wood fire grilling beast!

I bet if you got a giant clay pot and turned it upside down you could put it over the grate and have a make shift clay oven for pizza, tandoori, etc, etc.

It's just an idea that could be improved upon but you get the notion. Would be cool if the pot could be suspended way up over and you lower it down when you want that oven aspect going and have it pulled way up and out of the way when not using it lol.

If u got real cute with it you could maybe drill some holes in the side of the clay pot and run a rotisserie setup through it lol.

Just some ideas to chew on if you want to explore :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky