Oklahoma Joe's horizontal smoker-looking for info

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
739.99 bux for a brand new horizon 16" classic. it is exactly like greybeard says, they sold out to new braunfels, then to horizon... i believe horizon sold the okie joe name to charbroil(or something along them lines) but horizon still makes the okie joe smokers under there name. they call the model you have the classic. without the SFB is called the patriot... they also offer them in 20 inch models and also with a vertical smoke box on the end of the horizontal chamber... dude, you got one heck of a deal!!!

Man why can't I find those deals! Congrats. It wasn't the Horizon I was thinking of. Regardless that is a nice looking rig.

it was oklahoma joes sold to new brunsfell, then new brunsfell sold the name to charbroil, Horizon was a different company spun off by Roger Davidson after the sale of the OK Joes name, he is the brother of Joe Davidson the original owner of OK Joes and was the shop manager for the entire time OK Joes were built, the little plastic wheels give this away as a sams club unit, they are a ton better than the bolt on firebox sheetmetal units later produced under the joe's name even though the thinner units had steel wheels, for the money you got a major score, they were $400 at sams way back when and as mentioned are just a touch thinner steel than the $739 16 inch classic.   

thanks everyone for all the great info! I've fired this thing up twice over the weekend, with no meat in it just to see how it behaves, and I'm still messing around with my baffle plate to get it how I want it. When I first put my plate in, the firebox end was actually about 40 degrees COOLER than the far end! I guess I need to let it flow a little more towards the box. I never expected that...but just moving the plate 1/4" away from the firebox brought it up, so I think I'm getting close...any more suggestions are always welcome!

it was oklahoma joes sold to new brunsfell, then new brunsfell sold the name to charbroil, Horizon was a different company spun off by Roger Davidson after the sale of the OK Joes name, he is the brother of Joe Davidson the original owner of OK Joes and was the shop manager for the entire time OK Joes were built, the little plastic wheels give this away as a sams club unit, they are a ton better than the bolt on firebox sheetmetal units later produced under the joe's name even though the thinner units had steel wheels, for the money you got a major score, they were $400 at sams way back when and as mentioned are just a touch thinner steel than the $739 16 inch classic.   
sounds like you know your stuff. i was looking at a okie joe 16, same thing as kenY has cept it also has a vertical chamber as well... horizon also makes this smoker still as well but still in the 1/4" steel.

so out of curiosity what name did the ones with the thinner metal go under? were they charbroils?

Great Smoker KenY.  I own a Brinkman.  Same design only 108 degrees different.  Everything on mine is welded and 1/4 inch steel.   A friend of mine bought an OKJ the same as yours when they first came out (had to be almost 20 years ago) and he paid $800.  You got a GREAT deal!! I paid $390 for my Brinkman 7 years ago on sale.

I've never done any mods to mine but I'm very interested in the Baffle research you are doing.  Please keep me informed.

Happy Smoking

for some reason they have got off the OK Joes name for the time being, the same exact pits are still available under new bruansfels at academy and charbroil other places, before these were the OK JOES Longhorn

http://www.academy.com/index.php?pa...g/smokers&start=0&selectedSKU=0263-02219-3369

there is a super longhorn deluxe and wild west traditions also but both lost the OK Joes name and are now new bruansfels, The ones at academy are 11 or 12 gauge steel, some are a combo of both, better than the cheapy box store pits but nothing like a 1/4 inch or thicker unit which can be had for just a little more most times. Especially in the southern half of the country.

I got myself an Oklahome Joe as well.

Most likeky the only one in Denmark......

I paid USD 300,- for it

I´ll be smoking ribs on tuesday for the first time.

-Meyer

http://assets.smokingmeatforums.com/4/46/4650dd4c_Oklahoma smoker 16721 - 1.jpg

http://assets.smokingmeatforums.com/e/e3/e3ca15d8_Oklahoma smoker 16721 - 2.jpg

e3ca15d8_Oklahoma%20smoker%2016721%20-%202.jpg
4650dd4c_Oklahoma%20smoker%2016721%20-%201.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to SMF nice smoker. Please stop by the Roll Call section and tell us a little about you and your smoking equipment

Wow !!! What a deal !!!

I have one question----Were you wearing a mask & carrying a gun when you made the deal?
eek.gif

Bearcarver

I submitted some info to the Roll Call section...thanks everyone for all the great info! Keep it comin!

The elbow is to force the smoke and heat down to the grate level before going out the chimney as exhaust. That way you will get a better smoked product. My Okie Joe gets delivered in the morning and I already have the diffuser plates and a charcoal basket made, bought two new unit thermometers and and two wireless food thermos,I also have gasket material cement and hi temp caulk.  I am so ready for my first fire and then the seasoning. Unfortunately mine wasn't $30 but I am happy to have it for the $400 I paid at Lowes. Of course, I have already bout $200 worth of mods and improvement items. It'll be worth it. This forum has been such a great place to learn about smokers and smoking meat. Thanks to Jeff and all the wonderful folks who share their info. I'll upload pics of me new toy this weekend. 

Wasn't it $300 he paid for it?  USD 300 is what they typed.
The thread starter found one at a garage sale and offered the lady $30 for it.  And, yes, this thread is 3 yrs old.  Sometimes I don't notice these things until after posting...lol.  My bad!

The thread starter found one at a garage sale and offered the lady $30 for it.  And, yes, this thread is 3 yrs old.  Sometimes I don't notice these things until after posting...lol.  My bad!
Yep, I didn't go back to the original post but say the post with the pictures which was one of the last few posted back in 2010.  Assumed the most recent posts, for some reason, were commenting on that.  My bad. 

I also have recently acquired an Okie Joe & tried it out last night.  My Okie Joe has both a horizontal smoker and vertical smoker & is very cool.  We did chicken, ribs, beef & brats last night.  it was a lot of fun & I'm looking forward to more smoking.   I am also a home brewer & my goal is to smoke & brew simultaneously.  This weekend I brewed on Friday and smoked on Saturday.  I think I can do both together - it's all about time and temperature control - for both activities.

View media item 251189

I saw this thread and thought I would bump it up.....I have the exact same smoker.....In talking with Steve over at Horizon, this smoker is called a KD smoker. Knock Down. Meant for two things. A tad cheaper on shipping since it is 3/16 thick (plenty) and meant to be taken down and put back together if needed for travel. These were sold at Sams back in the day. They were meant to be a little lighter. Hence the light grates and the light front shelf. These were basically the units that caught the eye of Charbroil.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky